Pressed metal number plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HowardD

Car
Something else
Both number plates need replacing on the W123 - They're both acrylic, (without the GB logo) but are cracked and faded.

I want to replace them with pressed metal ones. They suit the cars age.

Still yellow/white, but using the pre 2001 font - like the yellow one in the photo.

Technically, I think this might not be legal as the plates are new replacements.

However, the pressed metal plates are what would have been supplied with the car. In fact, I've just found the original number plates in the boot from when the car was registered in Jersey.

Any thoughts on whether I'm likely to get into trouble by doing this?

Last edited:
The correct answer is that you should use the current font, modern plates.

However.

What was the date of first registration of the car?

I would be inclined to use these guys to supply yellow and white pressed plates>

Welcome to Vintage Plates

Because although you are expected to put the modern plates on, if you use pressed metal plates that could realistically have been on there since new, I doubt there has been a single prosectution under such circumstances.

No they wouldn't be legal. But so long as they were correctly spaced and clearly readable I suspect you'd get away with it.

You could also try 'Woolies', Thats Wolstenholmes of Market Deeping, dealers in classic car trim.Sorry iv not got number

I run pressed alu plates with the correct spacing with a set of German AMG surrounds, no trouble in 9 months (so far)
Colin.

Unless the plates were showing a number that had only been assigned to the car since the new regulations came in , I can't see how anyone could PROVE the plates had not been on the car longer .

Unless the plates were showing a number that had only been assigned to the car since the new regulations came in , I can't see how anyone could PROVE the plates had not been on the car longer .

Therein lies a minor technicality. It's an '82 car, but first registered (in UK) in 1995; it was imported from Jersey.

I'm going to go for it, I think.

Assuming you've either got an age-related number or a pre-suffix cherished number , I think it's unlikely anyone will ever spot it .

Well the fact that an age-related (1982) plate had been issued in 2009 would be a give away if the cops really wanted to. But to be honest, they just wouldn't (so long as the pressed plates were of a style that would have been legal in 1982).

:eek:

as long as you stick to yellow (as opposed to black) im sure you will be fine... Infact ive got a set of metal plates for the widebody..

Assuming you've either got an age-related number or a pre-suffix cherished number , I think it's unlikely anyone will ever spot it .

Unless, of course, you post about it on a public forum......;)

pressed metal plates look the part, why do we in the uk get the rubbish looking ones?

On a proper car with proper spacing, I see no problem unless plod was pedantic.

There are enough *******isations on plates seen daily to think a blind eye is given as it is too much trouble to process.

I know, but to be honest,most of the plates I see aren't road legal, I hate seeing a car in for me to MOT with standard plates velcroed on to of obviously non standard plates. They seem to get away with it for years! I think there is far less chance of a "pull" with the german plates than badly spaced "vanity" plates

These People reckon their pressed plates are legal.

I heard that these plates from dubmeister are only legal if your car was produced with that style of plate in the first place, like the mk1 VW caddy pick ups.

I got pulled for pressed plates last year, i tried to blag it, but they weren't having any of it - did distract them from the speeding ticket they were meant to be giving me, so every cloud and all that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom