Problem! CLK w209 central console died

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andro6600

Car
clk
Hello.
Ask for some help or advice. So the problem is as follows. I have CLK 270CDI 2003. I decided to make a change on the center console with the facelift one. I have a panel with buttons for ESP, hazards, locking, etc.The part number i 203 821 49 81, and i believe this is identical for all facelifted models. Yesterday I decided to try the new panel if it works by him alone in the car. As far as I was reading the differences are within the socket, but the wiring (4 wires, two of them are woven into each other, brown and brown / red for CANBUS and two wires for power) are identical before and after the facelift. I jack of the facelifted panel with cables, so I decided to connect them to my car to try. Unfortunately it did not work, none of the buttons working. The problem is that i got the SRS error on the dash, and after i put my original panel back, the buttons no longer worked. Also, the control panel of the air conditioner died. Completely! Nothing works. Even backlighting does not work. And my radiator fan turns itself at maximum speed as soon as I start the engine. My question is where to look at for the problem? Could be a fuse somewhere blown? Or I fried a sam module? Could be just the software error from changing the upper control panel and clearing it solve the problem? I want to check at least basic things first, before i go to the service.

I'd start by checking the fuses to see if one has blown, but it seems like the panel you connected doesn't have the same functions as the one you removed.

I haven't looked at the back of mine, but shouldn't the facelift trim all be 209 etc for a CLK; I thought it was different from the W203 C-Class.
I'm sure I saw trim on eBay that was A209 something something.

Yes, I checked the fuses, everything seems ok, but i checked the two wires for powering the upper control panel, and there no power at all. The two wires for canbus has voltage. So I don't know where else to look. Yes the new panel has some extra features like heated seats and toe alarm, but I don't think this i cause the problem with no power.
P.S. According to the info on the net, the panel 203 821 49 81, itself should be the same for both c and clk classes.

Last edited:
There are many, many part numbers for that switch bank depending on the options fitted to the car. With one exception, all the 209 numbers refer to option 401 Seat Climate Control, the rest are 203 numbers. My 2006 CLK has a 203 switch bank according to EPC.

A203 821 49 81 appears to have been fitted to 2002-2005 W209s (270CD1, 200K, 200 CGI, 240,320,500,55 AMG) across the world, as well as lots of W203 models.

Last edited:
hm...That means the wiring should fit my clk right? I don't know why it is pre facelift, but mine looks like the facelifted one with square buttons. Still no power neither to the ucp or climate control. I suppose that i shortened something when trying the new panel. The fuses are ok. What else could i look for? Maybe relay?

You need help from someone more knowledgeable than me, but one thing I do know is that once you have triggered the SRS warning on the dash, it can only be reset on Star.

Probably best then to get your car to an indy with Star who could then quickly find out everything else you have triggered by 'jury-rigging' your upper control panel.

PS Think the facelift was in early 2004, so this ucp may be the one used for 2004-2005 models.

Last edited:
yes, i know for the SRS eroor i will need a STAR. I hope i didn't fried anything with my intervention. Thanks

Came across this blog of a similar upgrade - may be of some help to you:

MWSTEWART.CO.UK | Facelift Centre console upgrade and Audio 20

He seems to have connected a facelift ucp to his pre-facelift car without your problem, but he does mention a difference in the connectors.

Regarding the facelift timing, have come across some posts indicating that interior changes (square buttons, D2B>MOST etc) were 2004, but engine and exterior changes were 2005. Nice of MB to complicate matters.

Finger crossed for you, frying SAMs doesn't sound good for the wallet.

Last edited:
yes, i read exact article about face lifting the ucp and connect the wires as described, but just for test and the connections were loose and maybe they accidentally touched and shortened. Lets hope indeed that I didn't fried the SAM. I checked with voltmeter and there is a voltage on can wires, but there is nothing on power cables. Maybe thi is a good sign that SAM is alive. Fingers crossed. Thanks

I can reset an SRS error message with my iCarsoft fault code reader, so it doesn't have to be STAR... jut more than a cheap universal tool.

Obviously I haven't seen every SRS error, but definitely the seatbelt detection error and the seat occupancy error.

I've done 2x dash facelifts now, 2nd one 3 months ago. 1st I triggered airbag light / console stopped working.

Check the fuse box at the side of the dash, one of them will have fused (15 rings a bell for some reason). Replace the fuse and turn ignition on (not the car though) and you should get power again. It's highly unlikely you won't be able to clear the airbag error without getting it on STAR though.

I take it you didn't disconnect the battery while doing it?

Last edited:
dead centre console . i hope this helps somone

helllllpppppp i just want to share my experience of what worked to fix my dead centre console everytime i write it i press submit and this site deleats it

E270 suddenly wouldnt start just kept turning over and all of dash board info clocks etc dead. Then it started but dash still dead . A friend of a friend who is a Mercedes Tech was in the area and could give me just 10 mins . He said that the battery that i had fitted from Halfords could be the problem as it may have lost the amps and thrown the computer out . He left me with instructions and left instructions as follows . Change Battery for Bosch one approved one for model . run car fo 20 min then take out battery wait 5min then hold ends of neg and poss leads together fo over a min then reconnect . This may reboot it but it may take a few days but run it for at least 20 min a day on drive . First thing i did was drive and filled up with diesel as i had no way of telling how much was in it . then every day i ran it for 20 min on the 6th day i drove it for 40 mile then on the 7th just ran it for 20 min. Still Dead. Then on the 8th i turned key and noticed the hands on the clock span round to 17.50 which was the correct time . then everything came back on and now works perfect.

Success! @KillerHERTZ, i checked the dash fuses more carefully and it was indeed blown fuse N41, and it was 15A :) Obviously i missed it last time. Now the power to console is back. Now for the SRS warning, i'm going to my mechanic monday to fix my footwell flaps and he will fix it, and since the whole dash is going to be out anyway, i'm proceeding with the changing the central dash cage for the facelift. Hope the new ucp with extra features that i don't have wont be a problem and throw no errors in the dash.

Thank you guys all for the help and advices. :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom