Problem with computer DNS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
Hi all
can anyone help me? I have a problem that I can connect to a website by the IP address but not if i type the Domain name in. I have tried restarting DNS but stilkl no luck?

Any ideas would be appreciated?

Regards
Ian

How do you connect to the internet (I mean ADSL, office network, etc.)?
How are the default DNS servers set up?

rirhill said:
Hi all
can anyone help me? I have a problem that I can connect to a website by the IP address but not if i type the Domain name in. I have tried restarting DNS but stilkl no luck?

Regards
Ian

Maybe the domain name has changed or their own DNS server has changed/not yet propogated?

Take a look here: - http://www.psacake.com/web/eg.asp - it will tell you the domain name if you enter the IP address

Hope that helps

Steve

As grober said, it's your ISP's DNS server. While they are down you can always use some from another ISP as they are ormally acessable outside the network. Give me a PM and I'll help you sort it.

rirhill said:
Hi all

Regards
Ian

Try setting your primary DNS server to 212.135.1.36 as it sounds like your ISP's DNS isnt working!

As grober said, it's your ISP's DNS server. While they are down you can always use some from another ISP as they are ormally acessable outside the network. Give me a PM and I'll help you sort it.
Only problem is that when I went to my brothers house and plugged in my laptop all was ok. It seems that its a problem with windows on his machine. I spent 2 hours to tech support yesterday and they say its the DNS on the machine. Can I fix this or is the registry too maggled?

Thanks again for your ideas
Ian

Last edited:
rirhill said:
Only problem is that when I went to my brothers house and plugged in my laptop all was ok. It seems that its a problem with windows on his machine. I spent 2 hours to tech support yesterday and they say its the DNS on the machine. Can I fix this or is the registry too maggled?

Thanks again for your ideas
Ian

It could be that the ISP changed its DNS servers (happened to mine recently) and if your brothers PC is manually configured, it won't automatically change. Yours was ok because presuambly it is set to automatic. It's quite easy to fix. Shout if you need help changing it.

Last edited:
Start>Settings>Network Conections and then pick the network connection in question.

You should see this;
lan1.jpg

In that middle box, scroll down till you see "Internet Protocol TCP/IP", highlight it and then click on Properties.

You should then see this;
lan2.jpg

If it's set automatically, it should be set as seen here. You can also enter a new DNS server here but be warned, you also have to pick an IP address for the computer.

Thanks for that but settings are already the same as on your screen shot.

I guess I will need to buy a copy of windows xp and format the drive and start over.

Thanks again anarchy-inc

Regards
Ian

rirhill said:
Thanks for that but settings are already the same as on your screen shot.

I guess I will need to buy a copy of windows xp and format the drive and start over.

Thanks again anarchy-inc

Regards
Ian

It may be worth getting a test copy of Win XP for now as Vista (Microsoft's new operating system) is lauching soon.

Try typing "cmd" in the run box on your start menu
then in the black window try 'ipconfig /flushdns'
see if this helps with your connection by name
if not open the window again and try 'ipconfig /registerdns'
leave you PC running for a bout 20 mins and then look in the event viewer

Thanks for all your comments. Problem solved new windows install seems to have sorted it.

Thanks again
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom