Project C43 W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMG_7381.jpg
IMG_7380.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

IMG_7361.jpg

IMG_7360.jpg

IMG_7364.jpg

Having done the above work myself and never having done it before, i was well chuffed with myself. The ball joints weren't the easiest, and a lot of head scratching was undertaken and then resorting to the internet to find the answer as I was determined not to be beaten, after all how hard can it be? its only nuts and bolts after all;)
This has become a popular theme during this, I begin a task, get stuck, remain puzzled, extensive (or not) internet searching and voila problem solved, resulting in me awarding myself another 'chuffty' badge :D.
I must confess I have bought some good and some carp tools along the way, not to mention some I would class as dangerous! The later I make reference to some 'spring compressors' which I had a few close shaves with, before binning them and managing to borrow a professional set up, which in hindsight is what was required.
Also due to the internet threads I had read, another popular PITA job to do on the W202, was to fix the 'squeak' coming from the rear, which was normally associated with the subframe bushings.
Coupled with the fact, I wanted to renew the brake pipes and again this would be easier to do without the subframe in situ, yes you guessed it, it was time for the subframe to come out!
This I did have assistance for, but still done as a DIY, at home. a mechanic friend assisted with me. So obviously all my suspension work had to be undone as part of the subframe removal process. remember when I said my steps probably wont make sense :D
Dropped the whole rear end off the vehicle (battery removed and fuel lines clamped off), not to mention the rear section of the exhaust (backbox) was aslo removed to aid in this.
IMG_7988.jpg

Very impressive mate.
I remember doing exactly the same with my E36 M3 Evo; setting to work with what turned out to be some of the tools, going back into the house to look at how to threads etc, back to the car, back into the house for more research, then a trip to halfords etc etc. But after, you do feel very proud to have done it yourself so I can sympathise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Abb
Just one of the subframe bushes, but they were all in pretty much the same condition and no evidence of them having being changed out during in the paperwork. Figured whilst it was off the car, renewing all these bushes as well as all the links (regardless of condition) would be the right thing to do.
IMG_7987.jpg

Whole subframe separated from the diff and rear axle, as well as been 'de bushed'. All credit to my mechanic pal for this.
IMG_7986.jpg

Then I got thinking, wouldn't it look nice if it was powdercoated? So off it went to be blasted and powder coated.....in silver! I know it may have been a bold choice for some, but I was very pleased with the result.
IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8046.jpg
IMG_8045.jpg

Then ordered all the new bushes including the diff mounts.
IMG_8048.jpg

On opening the bushes, they seemed almost used! Contacted MB, who stated that it must be the conditions that they are housed in, as thats how they all are! Were very quick to give me the MK depot contact details to clarify with them. Needless to say I didn't contact them, as they were new and unused, just seemed grubby.
IMG_8050.jpg

IMG_8049.jpg

I like the silver, it's different to what most people go for when powder coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilst waiting for the frame to be 'bushed', I decided to try and clean up the exhaust tips whilst the back box was off the car. Started off soaking the tips in 'oven pride' for 24hrs to get the baked on crud off or at least broken down.
Forgot to take before pics, to be fair the exterior of them weren't too bad for being almost 20 years old. Same couldnt be said for the insides and under the tips.
After a long soak and rinse down, i was left with.....
IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8076.jpg

IMG_8071.jpg

After a bit of elbow grease with some autosol, followed by megs exhaust polish and the use of my dremel, 1t with a sanding wheel and then a polishing wheel, I ended up with the following.... (although not perfect by any means, much much better and am pleased with the overall result, given what I began with)

IMG_8082.jpg

IMG_8082.jpg

IMG_8090.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

IMG_8084.jpg

IMG_8078.jpg

Great work, I had a very nice C43 in the day. My First AMG and have ben hooked ever since, on my third now :D

Having removed the rear end and the subframe separated too, it was time to check some of the other components, the trailing arms didnt look to bad...
IMG_8063.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

On closer inspection....
IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8061.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg

So bushes were removed and the arms, as well as fuel carrier bracket, ARB bush clips and a few other bits are off to be blasted and powder coated.
So in the meantime, it was on with cleaning up the diff and rear end. A spray of degreaser and TFR to begin with...
IMG_8145.jpg

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg
IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_8149.jpg

Quite a bit of dirt and grime built up over the years, to say the least. Got me thinking of carrying out any work required on the diff whilst it is off, have read quite a bit on the oil change which seems pretty straight forward and picked up some good tips, ie remembering to loosen the fill plug before draining the diff, to ensure it can be refilled!
I have located the two plugs and once the diff is all clean I will be carrying out an oil change, however does anyone know what the 'spout' seems to be on the cover plate? is it a vent of some sort?
Is there anything else that people would recommend I do at this time, whilst its in the position that it is?

Abb

A good starting point (slightly late in my response) is to get the car to a known strict MOT garage, then before having the MOT start tell the inspector you shagged his wife. This will ensure that he finds every fault known to man and a few that are not.

Whilst this only gives you a snap shot of what is happening underneath, it is a good starting point. You do not want to spend out hard earned cash to find later that there is hole that will make the car beyond economical sense to repair.

The floor above the rear sub-frame and all of the engine/gear box mounts needs to be properly inspected. And major damage here can ruin your re-build. Found early it can save you fortunes.

Keep it dry at all times during the restoration. A day in the rain with no windows, will ensure anything that wasn't rusting, now is rusting. Do not be tempted to skimp on the body or paint. Media Blasting can be your friend. It will show "all" the horrors and give a great indicator of cost.

Good luck. I look forward to progress and wish you well. It should be a cracking car.

Thanks again for your comments guys.
Fair point Bruce regarding an MOT tester, my mechanic friend is also an MOT tester and he gave it the once over, hence some of the work being carried out, some of which I may have overlooked as I didn't have the technical knowledge.
The bodywork (underneath, inner arches etc) have been looked at in great depth by a body shop who will be undertaking the body restoration and fitting all the replacement panels, have been extensive in their findings and will be sorting it all out once the car is handed over to them.

My main aim at the moment is to ensure I repair/replace anything, even as preventative maintenance, whilst I have the car in bits. As I don't want to be in the position when I bolt the back end up, only to find there was a £30 gasket somewhere that needs replacing, but its now a £700 job as the labour costs involved for dropping the whole subframe back out etc, if that makes sense.

Also for now I am concentrating on the rear end, which to be fair isn't that far off completion before I turn my attention to the front, again replacing all bushes/mounts etc as I go.

Once again, all information, help and advice is greatly appreciated :)

Does anyone know the part number of this? I believe it's for the headlight level? Was attached to the rear trailing arm ( I think thats what its called, the suspension spring is seated in it). Managed to snap the sensor arm, although I have a replacement sensor, I wanted to replace the arm, as the nut just turns.
IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8205.jpg

Replacement sensor
IMG_8204.jpg

You are a brave man taking on this project... and there is no doubt you are doing a great job.
Leaving a car parked outside for a long period is never a good idea, - if it's parked on concrete you have a good chance of the car surviving quite well. But its chances are not good if it's parked on grass. Damp coming up through the ground will rust the underside of the car and fuse all the components into a rusty mass while the car slowly returns to nature. You did well to rescue this one before it went too far.

This is a big task with a lot of work still to do. Even doing most of the work yourself It could well end up costing more than the car is worth.

Quite a bit of dirt and grime built up over the years, to say the least. Got me thinking of carrying out any work required on the diff whilst it is off, have read quite a bit on the oil change which seems pretty straight forward and picked up some good tips, ie remembering to loosen the fill plug before draining the diff, to ensure it can be refilled!
I have located the two plugs and once the diff is all clean I will be carrying out an oil change, however does anyone know what the 'spout' seems to be on the cover plate? is it a vent of some sort?
Is there anything else that people would recommend I do at this time, whilst its in the position that it is?
I now began to shop for bits I could see I was going to need, from brake hoses to bonnets and everything in between. Scouring the various sources, I soon began to mass parts (and continue to do so almost a year later :D).
A fellow member on here was contacted @mattk1, email & phone conversations exchanged followed by £££ and I was soon the recipient of my 1st major delivery!
IMG_7230.jpg

A palletised delivery housing:
A Bilstein Pro 12 kit (Biltein B8 shocks and uprated/lowered Eibach springs)
H&R Anti roll/Sway bars front & rear
Goodridge SS flexi braided brake hoses
OEM AMG full set of interior mate incl tunnel mat

All items brand new, unused and in packaging. Thank you once again to Matt for being an absolute gent throughout my dealings with him and for his patience with me and my numerous questions.

Thank you for your kind words Ab, much appreciated. If only everyone showed each other due respect life would be so much nicer! Anyway, super impressed with what you doing with your C43 and keep the thread going so we can see how beautiful it turns out in the end.
(ps, I've still got my CNC cross-drilled, dynamically balanced disc set waiting for you - you know you want them!)

Kind regards, Matt

You are a brave man taking on this project... and there is no doubt you are doing a great job.
This is a big task with a lot of work still to do. Even doing most of the work yourself It could well end up costing more than the car is worth.

Not entirely sure 'brave' is the word my wife would choose, for taking on this project :D. I have absolutely no doubt the costs associated with this project will far exceed the cars actual monetary value, however as stated earlier in this thread that is definitely not the reason I am doing this, even I know the maths don't add up.

This is purely for the love :p

Has anyone got any advice regarding the diff or rear end, or know what the part number is for the level sensor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom