Protecting alloy finish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haven't a clue!

Car
W204 C220 CDI (AMG body kit), plus BMW 320ci (E93), previously various company lease
Hi, used C-Quartz Flux protector before swopping AMG summer wheels for winters, had used it last year and gave good 6 month protection.
Applied sparingly and then used infra-red lamp to ensure good bonding/hardening.
AMG hubs now off for refurbishing, will then treat them before spring reuse.
Worth the effort as protects against brake dust/grime and makes washing an easy chore.
Pics too large, will try to reduce & upload.

Wheels now on, diarised to provide both a before/after pressure hose wash picture at 2 month intervals. Should show how effective the stuff is, hopefully not another snake-oil.
;)

Attachments

• cleaned and treated wheel.jpg
    cleaned and treated wheel.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 28
  • heat treated via domestic infra-red.jpg
    heat treated via domestic infra-red.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 27
Currently clean, before 2 months grime.

Attachments

• clean at start.jpg
    clean at start.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 17
Update....
Summary.
Dirt just washed away after 2 months, C-Quartz certainly seems to be working and saving lots of cleaning effort. Certainly saved me using Wonder Wheels cleaner or other similar products. Will update again in 2 months time.
Meanwhile most happy!

Photo 1 shows 2 months road grime, then pressure-hosed wheels which removed about 85% dirt, with all surface contaminants removed.
Photo 2 shows remaining embedded brake debris.Then used soapy water and hand brush for final clean.
Photo 3 shows fully clean wheels after a light brush cleaning.

Attachments

• 2nd month 1st.jpg
    2nd month 1st.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 2nd month photo2.jpg
    2nd month photo2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 23
  • 2nd month photo3.jpg
    2nd month photo3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 23
I'm having mine powder coated and diamond cut as a friend does mine at £40 plus £15 for the diamond cutting.

I was going to give them some clearcoat, but that C-Quartz looks to have done a good job, so I may try that to save getting all my kit out and having to clean it all afterwards.

I'm having mine powder coated and diamond cut as a friend does mine at £40 plus £15 for the diamond cutting.

I was going to give them some clearcoat, but that C-Quartz looks to have done a good job, so I may try that to save getting all my kit out and having to clean it all afterwards.

This friend of yours, would he like to make a new friend? ;)

This friend of yours, would he like to make a new friend? ;)

I'll ask what he usually charges for you, most of his work is for trade, so he may be quiet at this time of year and thus be receptive to a discount.

He used to be a mobile wheel (spray) painter until he found a partner to finance the powder coating ovens, lathe etc - he does a decent job and has expanded into supplying tyres too.

Just allow plenty of time to do a good job, putting the C-Quartz on was a job I did whilst wheels off car.
In NY will prep my AMG summer wheels after just having them fully diamond recut & refurbished at Pristine Tyres and whilst rubber still off. Pristine did a lovely job, fortunately one of my sons in car trade so got dealer discounted price!

Just to close the loop on this after further several months of winter usage. Cleaned the car/winter wheels in March and took these final photos, so based on empirical evidence, C-Quartz provides an excellent long term protection/ease of cleaning for alloys. Worth the cost and initial effort so will be applying to my AMG wheels before May switch-over.
Note: had also changed centre-hubs in "after" photo, it's not that good!

Attachments

• Mar18 before wash.jpg
    Mar18 before wash.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Mar18 after cleaning.jpg
    Mar18 after cleaning.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom