Protective outdoor car covers - advice and recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
I'm looking for a protective cover for my Mercedes (W222). Any makes or models that you can recommend?

It has to not scratch the car, be deployable by one person protect from rain, bird droppings, tree sap etc and be easy to clean, eg by hosing off. I'm looking for it to last until we can get a garage built, probably a year.

I'd expected Mercedes UK themselves to offer covers, but all I could find is an AMG one and that's indoor only and isn't available to purchase!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Having moved to Wales, where it rains too much, the first winter here found the roof of my wife's new Smart Cabriolet starting to go green. So in desperation and more In hope than expectation bought a cover on eBay. Only one I could find cost £32 , made in Poland and looks and feels like a very heavy perforated paper based fabric. Top claimed to be 100% waterproof and sides breathable and the amazing thing is it works, does what it claims! Just needed to add a couple of extra ties to the drawstring to stop it blowing off in high winds. Now on second winter and still keeping the hood dry even after 1 month of rain.

Don't

My experience is more of people trying to cover cars (and especially classics / convertibles) in underground car parks, but is relevant all the same.

Theoretically, covers should be fine, but.

The issue is that, with the best will in the world, in day to day use, owners drop their covers onto the floor when they drive off.

They then return with a slightly gritty car, and then lift the cover, with the grit from the floor, and put it on the car again, slightly scratching the paintwork as the cover is put on, and taken off again.

A secondary problem, which is probably not yours, is that covers stop the car from being ventilated, so vehicles left under cover for several weeks can grow mould and develop a gentle pong.

The car detailing guys and body shop guys can talk about this at length.

Last edited:
Only other comment I can make is that I would not have used one either had it not been a convertible. The Smart is black and can honestly say the body panel , which are plastic , look unmarked and the hood is bone dry when cover removed. My E class stands out in the rain and is just given a good wash and polish when it starts to look dirty and I would not think of putting a cover on it

I use a Covercraft Weathershield HP for the 124 when its left in Italy. Can be stood up to 3 months. It is not waterproof but it is breathable. It does the job. Keeps the tree sap and bird poo off the paintwork. Just needs a quick rinse after 3 months rather than hours of polishing sticky goo off the paint. Used this for the past 6-7 years now. No issues with scratches or blistering although the cover is showing signs of wear. Its light enough for 1 person to handle even on a big car and it dries quickly

Frequency of use

My comments about scratching relate to people covering / uncovering more than a couple of times a month. (Which I think is probably your case)

For long term (2+ months) storage - typically for second homes or summer only cars, if properly breathable, then covers can be a "good thing," compared to long term, "baked in," dirt, rain, and bird deposits.

Thanks for the tips so far. I'll certainly keep it off the ground to avoid picking up grit - I'm big and strong - and will make sure of it. It'll be stored in the garage or boot.

As both our home now and the new home to be are both in walkable towns, I will most weeks cover the car until the weekend or when we take it on tours, so I'd expect about 200-250 days of the year it'll be covered.

Keep the cover recommendations coming please. I'll ask the detailers too.

It's not just grit on the cover you need to think about, it's the dirt on the car.

Very different (to an S-class) I know, but I was looking at getting a font-only cover for our caravan to keep it clean whilst travelling. But the need to make sure the caravan is clean before fitting (to prevent scratches) defeated the object for me.

Yes, forgot to say that the Smart is only used infrequently in the winter and I always clean road grime off it before the cover goes on, otherwise am sure the finish would be ruined.

I had a storm proof cover on my SL. It was 4 layer breathable and all season.
Light enough to put on/take off on my own (size wise it helped a little if someone else was available but no problem)
https://www.stormcarcovers.co.uk/co...ger-car-covers-for-mercedes?variant=954652613
Not cheap I guess but neither was your car!
Only usual advice was about dirt/grit been covered off- I would only put the cover on when the car was clean, and then only if I was leaving it for a while.
I couldn't be bothered taking it on and off constantly but everyone is different!

TBH, these days paint is pretty good and durable as are the plastics etc. If you've had it coated , it should be just fine in the elements.

I have a 07 plate C320 cdi that lives outside and just like the 63 and 350, it's still in superb condition.

Keep the car clean and well waxed and it will be ok.

You will get very sick off using a car cover on such a big car.

You need a tailored cover that's a good fit for the car or it will flap about and potentially mark the paintwork. They're not cheap - I used a Covercraft Noah one on my SL for a couple of years before it was garaged and would definitely recommend that. They had a different version for the post-99 R129 because of the oval door mirrors! As an aside I later sold mine on to a member here as it was still in excellent condition.

Covercraft Custom Fit Car Covers - Covercraft Europe

Unless you're putting a clean cover onto a freshly washed/dried car I think the cover moving (as is inevitable in the wind) will turn ANY dirt on the paintwork into an abrasive and long term will damage the paint. As others have pointed out this is the experience of caravan covers where a van may be covered for 4/5 months of the year, great if used on washed/dry caravans, not so good on dirt van.

Have you considered the 'pop up canvas garage' type covers example below

Canvas and Nylon Company Portable Garages, Perambulator Folding Garages, Folding Garages

I'd only put the cover on when my car was immaculately clean, which I'm happy to clean personally on my property on a weekly basis. I appreciate the cautionary tales about grit/dirt on the inside of the cover as well. But outdoor covers are used successfully by people, right?

I was looking for good outdoor cover recommendations, so thanks also to the folks that posted those. Here's what I'm trying to cover, where, for the next 6 months,
3ed7100c7a9f24f792fff170774a900a.jpg
then outside the front of, what we hope is our new home.
f55491c2360d3d7c483391c5b3fc138c.jpg
I'd look to get a garage built in front of the house like a couple of neighbours have done by setting it at road height into the drive (which rises up to where the cars have parked). The agent suggested the planners would pass this.
Have you considered the 'pop up canvas garage' type covers example below

Canvas and Nylon Company Portable Garages, Perambulator Folding Garages, Folding Garages

That's an pragmatic option I hadn't considered, so thanks for that! I checked the company out and the size I'd need is a bit pricey, but doable. As it would be in front of the house (see last pic above) I checked the internet for planning issues for a portable garage, not a carport and seems there would be an issue as it's in front of the building line, especially if the neighbours objected. Maybe a low one, would be less obtrusive.

I mention that because i came across this epic and vastly entertaining thread on Pistonheads
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1469925
It all seemed to be going rather sensibly, until the OP posted this pic
019558bd5b954babf059d59711295597.jpg

Lovely car, lovely huge brick wall behind it, and lovely new home. I hope all goes smoothly with the transaction :thumb:

I highly recommend you guys read a bit of that PH thread - but it is highly addictive so make sure you've a couple of hours spare

The pistonheads thread is worth a look, even though I could not find a free 3 hrs to read it all, first 8 pages kept me amused for 20minutes though!

I'll be concerned for you if didn't have, at least, a few good laughs! Did you?

I did. Santa Claus coming tonight had be laughing out loud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom