Puddle behind rear wheel W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
Yesterday I noticed a very small puddle behind my driver side rear wheel. I stuck my head under and never seen anything obvious, it was a bit dark so couldn’t get a good idea if anything was wet under the car. At this point I decided that it might have been from another car which was parked on the same spot before me so I left it and drove off. Today in the morning when I was heading towards my car I seen exactly the same sized puddle again behind the driver side rear wheel, I’ve pictured the size of the puddle and attached it to this post. Anyone got any ideas what it could be? I’m thinking Fuel or leaking shock absorber?

My car is a 2001 w210 E320 CDI

20170508_122733.png

Probably water.

There is a drain hole at the side of the boot...check if it's wet.

The fuel filler on my W211 is located above the OSR wheel so is the W210 the same?

Perhaps blotting the liquid with a tissue to inspect closer. What colour, smell, consistency etc.

I presume you've checked the brake fluid level but it seems too far back to be a leaky brake system.

Is there an ingress of water in the boot which could be dripping out? Poss leaky boot lid seal?

You should be able to track it if you identify what the fluid is.

Good luck.

Hmm I mean it's staining the road where every I go so can't be water. I doubt it's oil from the diff as it's to close the edge and the diff is pretty much right in the middle.

I think it need to be jacked up tomorrow during the day. It's a bit inconvenient due to working long days but guess I'll have to work it out.

Right the longer days meant that there was actually still day light when I got home today.

I managed to get the car jacked up and locate where the leak is coming from. It seems to me that it's a drain pipe from either the boot or behind the fuel cap.

Only bit I'm a but puzzled about is the liquid seems to be oil like liquid and it is actually staining the roads. I've checked in the boot it's all bone dry. Behind the fuel cap also bone dry.

Anyone know where this pipe is coming from?

20170508_211914.jpg

How's the brake fluid level?

Looks like the end of the rubber pipe that starts in the fuel filler flap area to drain any rain that settles there. Maybe run through with warm water to see if it clears? I changed the pipe once and did notice thick black tar like grease on the inner wing when looking from boot side and reckon it was solidified diesel that had slowly gathered over time if you know what I mean?

Last edited:
Looks like the end of the rubber pipe that starts in the fuel filler flap area to drain any rain that settles there. Maybe run through with warm water to see if it clears? I changed the pipe once and did notice thick black tar like grease on the inner wing when looking from boot side and reckon it was solidified diesel that had slowly gathered over time if you know what I mean?

I'll give this a go and report back. Thanks

Damn... the leakage is from a drain pipe from the boot. It happens to be a bottle of meguiars tyre shine gel which was left in my boot has been leaking.

I was wondering where my tyre shine had gone haven't seen this bottle since last summer. :fail

Damn... the leakage is from a drain pipe from the boot. It happens to be a bottle of meguiars tyre shine gel which was left in my boot has been leaking.

I was wondering where my tyre shine had gone haven't seen this bottle since last summer. :fail

At least you will have a nice Grape smell in your boot :)

So, I was right about the location...but not the liquid...

That pipe is also in the pic but because it is dry is harder to see.

A nice cheap fix :). Glad its sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom