Puddle lights again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jon.english68

Car
C220 AMG Sport Plus Coupe
Woo hoo, one thing that has bugged me ever since I bought my Coupe in January, its bugged me that the puddle lights in the doors don't work, well today I wired them up [emoji4] looking at the wiring diagram I could work out which wires at the door module to connect to to make the lamp illuminate when the door is open[emoji106] A65 is the door lock and in side it there is a door switch, it was just a case of connecting a wire to the switched wire and another to the power supply and then feed the wires to the door lamp, I then soldered the wires to the lamp and the wires st the door module and hay presto, the lamp illuminates with the door open and turns it off when the door is closed [emoji2]
6b883269f7b42419cf9748dd6e073867.jpg
6be4317346013f62d1b2dd4b94623045.jpg
475fd6d3717163d0be2498e78a61f839.jpg
4be5adda9ff1966ca68691af13467d59.jpg
705ca5b80eef28e82023957a3efe96cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im very interested in doing this mod, thanks.

It looks like you have connected +ve (brown) to the red/grey(?) wire and -ve (blue) to the brown/pink wire going into the green plug. Is that correct?

Did you have any problems or gotchas removing the door panel?

Yes that's how I connected the wires, I did this with out removing the door card, I popped out the light, then unclipped the door card along the bottom and front edges, threaded the wires from the light hole up to the door module them clipped the door card back in place after making sure the wires are inside the clips [emoji106]

On some models, the door light loom is a cost option.

Does the Light exist with no Cable Loom? :dk:

The way I read the OP Post his win was the fact that he added only the Wiring, I would have expected there to be a Blanking Plate where Puddle Light lives, if the Puddle Light exists with no connected Wiring but is available at cost, that's madness :fail :wallbash:

Yes that's how I connected the wires, I did this with out removing the door card, I popped out the light, then unclipped the door card along the bottom and front edges, threaded the wires from the light hole up to the door module them clipped the door card back in place after making sure the wires are inside the clips [emoji106]

Cheers, I didn't realise you could access the door control module without removing the door card.

The door module is accessible by removing this cover
d4c95a00bcfdd50bb58e10a86920011a.jpg

Then punching the clip on the module
6ef566b2b12605ca82f8b858f8ac3fae.jpg

Then pulling it out of its bracket

Does the Light exist with no Cable Loom? :dk:

The way I read the OP Post his win was the fact that he added only the Wiring, I would have expected there to be a Blanking Plate where Puddle Light lives, if the Puddle Light exists with no connected Wiring but is available at cost, that's madness :fail :wallbash:

Yes, it has the puddle light and it even contains a bulb, but there's no wiring to the bulb socket.

Hi I found that out today when I was updating the interior bulbs to LED's, popped off the puddle lights to find a bulb and no cable! Maybe Mercedes thought they would work wirelessly:doh:!

Done mine today, spot on thanks jon.english68: this is a great tip!!
Cost me £8 and that includes a soldering iron lol. Used connector blocks on the cable joints though.

Done mine today, spot on thanks jon.english68: this is a great tip!!
Cost me £8 and that includes a soldering iron lol. Used connector blocks on the cable joints though.
hi when you done the passenger side was the wireing the same colours , right side works but so far not the left, ill have to check bulb just in case

In mine the wiring was the same both sides but some folks have said there’s are different, so I guess it’s option specific but regardless of the wire colours, if you connect to the same pins as the drivers door you should be fine.

Out of curiosity
What are you connecting them to ?

Thanks

Dave

also where is the black wite going from the light
As that pic shows a blue and a black wire

But on the connection pics its changed to a brown wire

Is this correct ?

Thanks

Thanks for your help mate

As per your pics
The main 12v is from the thick red wire.
The the switching ground must come from the thin brown wire in the green plug

I got my fronts done
Just hoping the rears work the same too ;)

Thanks again

Who needs SCN coding eh ;)

Holy thread revival, this will be useful

Gone to install illuminated sills on my coupe and I can’t find the ‘pre-existing’ connectors for them beneath my carpet

Went online looking for the cables for the VR module and saw it needed coding, this will be handy as I can use the same wiring to connect the sills, and probably do the door card lights at the same time :thumb:

Nothing is ever simple with these cars!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom