Pulley centre seems to be coming out 210w 320cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex300ce

Car
W213 E350d PP Sport, E36 AMG sold C32 AMG sold A200 Turbo
Hi,
I've got a 2000 e320 cdi and yesterday had the bonnet open. When I look down at the belt the pulley on the far right( steering pump maybe??) seems to have the centre coming out and eating into the fan surround. The car does seem a bit whiney on tick over. Is this a common problem or is it an easy fix? All bolts seem tight as far as having a feel down there. Any help greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Alex

Ok, just need to wait for the wife to come home in it!

Here is a pic looking down to the right of the rad

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 47
Sorry I can't be of much help but Olly will hopefully be on soon with helpful advise.
I will say that I think you should stop using it until the problem is sorted. As you say, the pulley is rubbing against the fan cowling and there is a risk that it's going to become detatched and damage the radiator. Probably only the cowling holding the pulley on and could fail at any time.

2 possibilities perhaps The simple one =the fan shroud has become displaced /broken in some way and needs to be repositioned---- the complicated one = the engine position has changed in relation to the car body allowing the pump pulley to rub against the pulley shroud which is in the correct position. This might be caused by a failure of the engine mounts or perhaps the front subframe [ the front subframe cross member is a known failure point due to corrosion] has sagged? time to get that car up on a ramp and the body under cladding off for a good look.

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for the quick replies, have had a quick look and the fan cowling is in the right position also the engine seems to be in place and looks fine, doesn't look like its moved 2-3 inches forward.

Is that the P/S pump? If it is the harmonic damper, is it just the case of buying a new pulley with one in?

Is it the lower pulley ? That's the AC compressor clutch.

Don't drive it till its sorted. It could fall off at any time.

Its not the crank pulley, think that is where the harmonic damper is??
So if its the A/C clutch, is it just a matter of buying a replacement clutch/pulley?

I just looked at mine...I don't have a fan cowling (when did that go). Anyway, my pulley sits back a lot further than yours...so your pulley is breaking up...stop driving it.

Ok, thanks for all your help. After having a look I think the cheapest fix will be to buy a used compressor. See one on eBay for £60 so don't spose that's to bad!

Hi
Thanks for the quick replies, have had a quick look and the fan cowling is in the right position also the engine seems to be in place and looks fine, doesn't look like its moved 2-3 inches forward.

Have you hit a curb and pushed the rad support panel back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom