Quaife LSD eating the rear tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^ Be wary of fitting Michelin PSS on your C63 if you are thinking of changing brands.

More than one C63 owner has complained of an unstable feel to the car on Michelins.

Probably a combination of softer sidewall, the torque produced and its not exactly a light car.

Have a search for Michelins to find the problem threads. I recall PhilT was unhappy to the point his car felt dangerous.

Last edited:
Sounds to me that the diff is locking too early.

You're effectively trying to turn corners with a fixed rear axle....

Is the supplier still around to do any warranty work?
if it were a clutch type LSD I'd agree, but the Quaife is a torque biasing diff that doesn't actually lock.

The OP could always give Bird's a call as they're the UK distributor for Quaife and will be able to provide technical support.

Gott in Himmel ! 5000 miles on a set of tyres?

I used to get more like 15,000 from my BMW 335i with Quaife LSD on Conti Sports - not that i was ever a tyre shredder.

Obviously different cars, but a huge difference

Theoretically, if anything an LSD ought to reduce slip / tyre wear, not worsen it. And what's the prime cause of tyre wear? Your right foot.

Call Birds, as UK distributor they'll be able to advise.

Else call Quaife in Sevenoaks - they may not want to talk to you direct, but they'll be able to point you to an intermediary.

Last edited:
New tyres are going on Thursday...will stick with conti sport 5p. Car goes in on Tuesday for full laser alignment and check on suspension. It's something I have been meaning to do for awhile so maybe it will show up something. When the LSD was installed the garage was in contact with birds all the way to make sure everything was correct. They did another C63 virtually straight away. Paul from Eurocharged was there as well. If nothing shows on Tuesday will have to investigate further. Thanks for the replies.

aquanaut said:
New tyres are going on Thursday...will stick with conti sport 5p. Car goes in on Tuesday for full laser alignment and check on suspension. It's something I have been meaning to do for awhile so maybe it will show up something. When the LSD was installed the garage was in contact with birds all the way to make sure everything was correct. They did another C63 virtually straight away. Paul from Eurocharged was there as well. If nothing shows on Tuesday will have to investigate further. Thanks for the replies.

The conti 6 is a far superior tyre.

regarding quick tyre wear, does it occur across entire tyre tread or is it only on the rear tyre inner side wall?

do any of you use adjustable camber arms eliminating uneven tyre wear?
I have these camber arms on my car but without an LSD, I get even tyre wear compared to stock camber arms giving uneven tyre wear on the inner side wall.

I'm interested in getting a Qauife LSD but if tyre wear implodes drastically I won't bother buying an LSD differential

Last edited:
More likely the fitting than the LSD

There are hundreds of thousands of LSD's doing their job properly on vehicles around the World - and reducing tyre wear. (think of how they work)

This insane tyre usage (5,000 mile life) is something about the fitting, whether it's camber, alignment, or faulty fitment of the LSD itself. (Obviously it couldn't be a very heavy right foot - could it)

regarding quick tyre wear, does it occur across entire tyre tread or is it only on the rear tyre inner side wall?

I have these camber arms on my car but without an LSD, I get even tyre wear compared to stock camber arms giving uneven tyre wear on the inner side wall.

I'm interested in getting a Qauife LSD but if tyre wear implodes drastically I won't bother buying an LSD differential

the tyre wear was even right across the tread on both tyres. Speaking to the staff at the fitters they said its not uncommon for them to change tyres every 4-5k on diff equipped Audi's, BMW's etc. I think its unacceptable so will see what alignment checks etc bring on Tuesday before investigate further. Its unlikely the LSD is installed wrongly but will see.

There are hundreds of thousands of LSD's doing their job properly on vehicles around the World - and reducing tyre wear. (think of how they work)

This insane tyre usage (5,000 mile life) is something about the fitting, whether it's camber, alignment, or faulty fitment of the LSD itself. (Obviously it couldn't be a very heavy right foot - could it)

no its not a very heavy foot as i had 11.5k from first set and changed at 2.5mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom