Quality Wheel Refurbishing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mudster

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
Can someone point me in the direction of a quality refurbisher, preferably local to Gatwick (reasonably).

I've had experience with spit and polish and have never been happy with the finish, mainly because I don't usually want just a standard job. Generally I want painted/powder coated centres and polished rims.

It would be helpful if they did split rims too but not imperative as I have three sets I need cleaning up.

TIA

Take my advice and avoid clear lacquer coatings, there is no strength in it due to there being no pigment in it

the chrome effect paints are very good, and had me fooled on my V70R until I damaged one and found it to be paint
You could have the polished section in chrome paint and the rest in something else

Pristine wheels do have a good name, but only offer a 3 months warranty on clear coat

Thanks for all the replies, their website certainly says all the right things, I have 7 sets to do so I've emailed them to see if they have a local agent and I'll get one set up there and see how they do.

I like the chrome paint effect idea, I'm fitting Aero I's to my SEC to use as winter wheels, the split rims I have fitted look great but I'm sick of cleaning them, so I've decided to keep them for sunnier days.

Hi Mudster,

I bought some E55 AMG wheels a few years ago, 18" x 8 and 18" x 9 rears, with the large machined/polished lip. These had been fully refurbished by Lepsons (in Kent?). Very good job, literally as close to factory as I have seen.

Can't comment on price but the work appeared to be good :)

Will

Not the best picture around (sorry I don't have the car any more), but you can probably see that the wheels looked as good as new IMHO.

Will

Attachments

• C230 Kompressor.JPG
    C230 Kompressor.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Well that's a little more local, I'll give them a call on Monday. Thanks

I have yet to find an inhouse company that will polish and paint the wheels to my desired quality.

I normally use one company to have the wheels painted and another to have them polished. Not the cheapest way but results in the wheel looking 100%.

To get the mirror shine on the polished lips they have to be diamond cut first and then polished afterwards. This way the diamond cut eliminates all the imperfections first.

Polishing can be done otherwise but when you look closely into the finish small imperfections can be found.

What exactly is diamond cutting? Is this simply the process of putting a wheel on a lathe and turning out imperfections or is it a more complex CNC machine of sorts?

Thanks for the recommendations, seeing as they were local-ish and collected, and were very helpful on the phone...and quoted me trade prices the first set of Aero 1's went to Lepsons today.

I've specified black centres with polished rims.

Will comment on quality and post pictures when they are returned next week.

Lepsons did offer to have them ready for Saturday, but I'm in no rush for these so said next Wednesday would be fine.

Look forward to seeing the pictures :cool:

Will

What exactly is diamond cutting? Is this simply the process of putting a wheel on a lathe and turning out imperfections or is it a more complex CNC machine of sorts?

Yes, it is turning on a lathe with a diamond tool that gives a very bright surface

Wheels arrived back from Lepsons (Gillingham) today.

Initial reaction, very happy. Machining very high quality, these wheels (which are at least 14 years old) look new.

Paintwork, very good (but have seen better - admittedly, not at this price). I have to say the photograph below doesn't do them full justice, they look better in reality.

Three of the wheels are practically perfect, one has some bubble/pinholes on the lacquer of the polished rim, Lepsons are collecting and refinishing this week without any hassle or argument.

They forgot to bring the centre caps back, which have been painted to match.

So overall, would I use them again? I think so, the quality is good enough and the price? £200 + vat.

PICT1487.jpg

When the guy fits the tyres,give him a £5 to fit a new rim protector when he is doing it

It's just sprung to mind that I don't have any wheel bolts for these alloys so I need to buy a set.

Can some kind soul tell me what size I should be buying?

It's just sprung to mind that I don't have any wheel bolts for these alloys so I need to buy a set.

Can some kind soul tell me what size I should be buying?

12mm and there should be about 18-20 mm sticking out the rear face when the bolt is pushed through the hole

When the guy fits the tyres,give him a £5 to fit a new rim protector when he is doing it

Is that something to do with the machine that fits the tyres itself?

12mm and there should be about 18-20 mm sticking out the rear face when the bolt is pushed through the hole

I know they are 12mm thread with a 1.5 pitch, I just wasn't sure of the length or seat type. But you've given me a start point if I should be looking for 18mm - 20mm projecting.

Is that something to do with the machine that fits the tyres itself?

Yes there is a plastic face that runs around the rim when the tyre is being fitted, the last thing you need is one with bits of rust embedded in it on those nice wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom