Question for the Auto Leccys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
I've just purchased a new Ford Transit van and have fitted a split charge relay fto charge 2 leisure batteries. However the batteries aren't charging. I've the same setup on other vans and it works perfectly.

It appears that the main battery is only getting charged when it's less than full meaning after starting up and driving the main battery is registering a full charge therefore the relay can't pick up any charging current to open the circuit to the leisure batteries.

I've tested this out by leaving the main beam headlights on whilst the engine is idling thus "draining" the main battery, the leisure batteries then get a charging current.

There must be some form of smart charging for the main battery, is there a possible solution for this that can be by-passed?

Sterling Power Battery To Battery Chargers - | 12 Volt Planet

quote:-
Using a battery-to-battery charger is the only reliable solution if you intend to re-charge a second battery in a modern vehicle that has an ECU-controlled 'smart' alternator (generally Euro 5/6 compliant engines onward). These have a highly variable voltage output that is often too low to provide a charge or (in the case of regenerative braking systems) so high that it can damage some battery types. Due to this highly variable voltage VSRs [ voltage sensitive relay] are not suitable for use with 'smart' alternators.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Grober

Thanks Grober. The SCR's we use on the other vans are fine but this one is a Euro6 which is the problem. I'm going to give Ford a ring tomorrow as surely they've fitted tow bar electrics for caravan etc so they must have a fix.

It is all to do with the stop/start system on the newer cars/vans, they only charge the battery properly on demand and when braking etc, for efficiency.
The easiest solution would be lowering the cut in point on the voltage sensitive relay if it has been fitted with one.
I've found that turning more electrical consumers masks the problem as it increases voltage when the headlamps etc are on.
Unfortunately just disabling the stop/start doesn't fix the matter as it's buried deep in the engine software.
It would be interesting to see if ford can offer any solution though.

It is all to do with the stop/start system on the newer cars/vans, they only charge the battery properly on demand and when braking etc, for efficiency.
The easiest solution would be lowering the cut in point on the voltage sensitive relay if it has been fitted with one.
I've found that turning more electrical consumers masks the problem as it increases voltage when the headlamps etc are on.
Unfortunately just disabling the stop/start doesn't fix the matter as it's buried deep in the engine software.
It would be interesting to see if ford can offer any solution though.

Phoned Ford up today, they won't give advice over the phone??? but will if I pop in and see them (a 35 mile return trip) or I can phone their Technical help line at £1 per minute!! ***K that.

I've been talking to this fellow and he's recommended this Products - Power Management and Distribution - Smart Alternator Dual Battery Charging - Smart Alternator System 12v 30A-60A - All vehicle types so Ill give the instructions a ggod read to see if it does the job

the sterling products are good quality, if a little pricey.
Yes, I expected ford might say something along them lines, usually ending up with "it's not factory fitted so it's not our problem".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom