Question re ambulance driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
On the M6 tonight and saw an ambulance with blues and twos coming up. Initially on the hard shoulder then on the middle lane. I was in the outside lane but the van in front of me and I pulled into the middle lane to give the ambulance a clear run at the outside lane which was now empty. But he did not want to know and kept behind me (with blues and twos) until I could safely pull into the inside lane, then he carried on at 65 - 68 in the middle lane. This resulted in a bit of a rolling road to be honest as people were loth to overtake him. He eventually pulled off the motorway and life carried on as before.

I know we have at least one ambulance driver on here and wondered if that was standard procedure :dk:

Last edited:
From a different point of view, how easy would it be for an ambulance to actually speed up and overtake when already doing 65-68? Do they have regular engines, or are they a little more tuned than a regular van?

I also presume the kit in the back would be pretty heavy... Maybe it would be quicker to wait for someone to move rather than attempt moving lanes and overtake?

From my knowledge of Mercedes sprinter ambulances, they are not beefed up in the engine department, and carry almost a full load all the time, but they do have air suspension and heavy duty anti roll bars.

When I am going on a call on the motorway I tend to drive at a safe speed for the Ambulance. They normally drive like a brick and can be difficult at speed. The Air suspension can effect the handling in bad weather. The blues and 2s are only helpful on the hard shoulder or in heavy traffic and in built up areas. Speed is never the factor when getting to a call. Safe progressive driving taking into consideration of the prevailing road conditions are far more important.It is far better to get to the call then become a statistic.

I had the misfortune to spend fifteen miles in the back of a blues and twos machine recently and I can tell you if it did have air suspension it wasn't working. Despite being dosed with heavy duty painkillers I felt every single bump. And many there were!!

Many moons ago Ford did a V6 petrol transit specifically for the emergency services however you could also get it in any LWB chassis. I remember having a 15 seat minibus on hire one week with that engine and it was soooooo much fun.

These days, ambulances tend to have stock diesel engines so don't have the same performance so on a motorway much beyond the speed limit is probably asking too much

Have to say only time we had them out, was on a foul winter windy night when my daughter woke up struggling to breath. We now know it to be croup, but at the time it was pretty frightening when NHS Direct said they were sending an ambulance

They made the 25 minute journey in about 15 minutes. I was amazed how quickly they had got to us when on the journey to the hospital I realised just how windy it was.

Many years ago I overtook a fire engine - flashing lights and siren - on a dual carriageway, it was steep uphill drive and the fire engine was clearly struggling with the incline... it seemed silly to drive slowly behind it all the way to the top (a couple of miles or so). I assume it was illegal?

Correct, if you didn't break the speed limit or in anyway obstruct him, what would be the problem?

It irks me when everyone stops when an emergency vehicle comes near with blues and twos...if you're in the way, stop, otherwise proceed as normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom