Quick question on W210 saloon rear head restraints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mj2k

Car
2000 Subaru Legacy GT (remapped to 300bhp)
My pre-facelift W210 saloon seems to like finding me jobs to do, so before something else unexpectedly jams I thought I'd better check how the rear headrest release is supposed to work.

At present, you pull the headrests up until they click, and when you press the release button on the dash they fall back into place with a distinct 'thump'. I'd have expected the release mech to work in a slightly more 'luxurious' way, so is this the correct behavior or have I got a vacuum leak?

(BTW the car's now decided I need to fix a front electric head restraint by sticking it in a weird position, so I'm expecting the rears to be next on the list)

Hey

Same on my W209..

When you press the button to drop them it is loud as hell!

I think they are the same over a number of models,the fact you have to pull them up suggests there is no pump involved,I always thought they released by having the catches disengage by a solenoid,but do not know for sure

Same on the W219, as zipdip posts, released by solenoid and reset by hand.

Heh, I'd have expected them to at least put a foam damper in there so it doesn't thump like a 70s Renault hitting a speedbump :D

Still, good to know it's completely normal, that gives 'madam' (the car, not my other half) one less thing to moan about.

People get the scare of their life if you drop them when they are sitting in the back... it's quite funny.. give it a try lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom