Quick sprint - 230slk v 430clk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SLK230UK99

Car
230 slk
I was coming off the m25 on the Watford junction which is a long sweeping right hander probably about 1/2 to 3/4 mile length. Clk was right behind me as I exited m25 and we punched it down the clear slip road...I was beginning to lose him down the straight but he disappeared altogether when we came to the long curve....I slowed right down at the roundabout to wait for him to see what he had....very surprised to see he was in a 430....i thought those things were supposed to kick ass lol :devil:

A lot of people slow down ridiculously for curves. Motorway slip roads are terrible for people in the outside lane slowing to 55-60 so they can fight the 4 wheel drift :rolleyes:

I think you'll have to admit - the chances of him knowing you were racing him and him having more than half throttle are slim!

And CLK`s understeer and have very light steering on those type of corners..... :eek:

GrahamC230K said:
I think you'll have to admit - the chances of him knowing you were racing him and him having more than half throttle are slim!

Well let me see...he was right up my **** one minute....i hit the curve at about 120 and still accelerating....then he wasnt there!!! I wasnt racing him either...just seeing how fast I could take that curve...obviously a little faster than an overweight clk. :bannana:

esox said:
And CLK`s understeer and have very light steering on those type of corners..... :eek:

yea true soo are they E320 CDI and thy dont handle that good as well cant take corners that well unlike C32's or c classes in general have good handling and take corners really well

stats007 said:
Haha first and last time I'll hear that.

Heh, how come, selling your motor?? :devil:

SLK230UK99 said:
Well let me see...he was right up my **** one minute....i hit the curve at about 120 and still accelerating....then he wasnt there!!! I wasnt racing him either...just seeing how fast I could take that curve...obviously a little faster than an overweight clk. :bannana:

That's about when I would back off, change up to 5th knowing I had kept up with the car in front and was now going to watch him go off into instant ban with Plod in a good mood territory!

On the other hand he may have been a straight line driver. Those standard CLK430' Elegances come with frighteningly narrow rubber too.

Oh - unless the CLK was a Cab, I would check the weight figures for your car against a w202 and w208 before you call anything overweight!!

SLK230UK99 said:
Heh, how come, selling your motor?? :devil:

Don't take my word for it:

From Here

The R170 Mercedes SLK gained a reputation as a car for young girls and hairdressers. Its automatic gearbox and the popularity of the low-powered 2.0-liter model with, well, girls and hairdressers meant it was never going to be considered a serious sporting titan.

or Top Gear:

Salon Review

;)

SLK230UK99 said:
......said the sl500 owner.

Three words......pot, kettle, black. :rolleyes:

Sorry I have to agree with stats007 - SLKs shouldn't be driven by guys unless its a 55 AMG! SLs if anything are old mans cars ;) so don't worry stats you're not a hairdresser :D

SLK230UK99 said:

I would not fancy hitting any curve at 120MPH as chances are you will loose control despite ESP... I hit a curve at similar speed in a C55 loaner and almost lost the rear end...

SLK230UK99 said:
I was coming off the m25 on the Watford junction which is a long sweeping right hander probably about 1/2 to 3/4 mile length. Clk was right behind me as I exited m25 and we punched it down the clear slip road...I was beginning to lose him down the straight but he disappeared altogether when we came to the long curve....I slowed right down at the roundabout to wait for him to see what he had....very surprised to see he was in a 430....i thought those things were supposed to kick ass lol :devil:

You werent racing him then? :rolleyes:

120mph on a public road!?! Inadequate in the trouser department are we? ;)

Flash said:
I would not fancy hitting any curve at 120MPH as chances are you will loose control despite ESP... I hit a curve at similar speed in a C55 loaner and almost lost the rear end...

Hi Flash,
Well said,
These curves are good places for 'commercial' vehicles to shed any over fill of their load, or excess fuel. There is a place for enjoying the performance of a car but negotiating curves on the limits of traction without being fully aware of the road conditions is perhaps not the wisest of moves.... but you and I are in the minority here so standby for some ""Incoming"" :)

Take care and have a nice day,
John

ChloeFox said:
Sorry I have to agree with stats007 - SLKs shouldn't be driven by guys unless its a 55 AMG! SLs if anything are old mans cars ;) so don't worry stats you're not a hairdresser :D

Phew - I was starting to see hair straighteners in a whole new light! :D

GrahamC230K said:
Oh - unless the CLK was a Cab, I would check the weight figures for your car against a w202 and w208 before you call anything overweight!
The cabs are heavy, but remember the 430 engine weighs less than the old 280 engine!

I had a short race with a CLK320 cab although it was close he never closed the gap, it took until 90mph+ before he overcame the weight disadvantage.

An E430 destroyed me however, from pretty early on! :rolleyes:

My pops has a CLK 430, which i borrow from time to time, its a very fast car, it dispatches 230's easily. Believe me i know :devil:

I would guess that the guy wasn't really playing properly with you, the 430 has buckets of torque whereas the 230 doesn't really. Ok he may weigh a bit more than you but he has a large power advantage.

Im not a boy racer any more , so i'm not going to enter into a 'my car's faster than your car' discussion , but suffice to say that i believe you got away lightly from the 430. so, you were rinsing the pants off your 2.3 , he probably wasn't even breaking sweat, and probably guards his licence too.

Stands to reason , 4.3 V8 vs 2.3 4 pot , V8's gonna win every time.

Anyway, i'm glad you had your fun, thats why we own nice cars.

H

maybe the 430clk was being driven by a lady who was more of a cobham cruiser? She wouldnt want to race as she was on her cell phone,silly! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom