R 230 water drains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clkrichard

Car
2011 CLC 220cdi 2004 CLK 320 cabriolet, R230 SL500, A class Sport AMG now arrived.
Time to check out and possibly clear the drains on my SL500
Please can someone tell me where they all are ?
What do you all use for clearing ? Is coat hanger wire too fierce and would you bend the end over to take away any sharpness and danger of piercing drain tubes ?

The first ones to check are when you have the boot lid open - under where the pointy bits live, right at the front (next to the "c" pillars), you will find two ridiculously small drains. Use something blunt, lie a piece of strimmer cord.

Slowly pour some water into the channel - it should come out just in front of each rear wheel.

The front one is on the passenger side in front of the windscreen. I never had an issue with that, but you can simply pour some water through the bonnet vent & see it draining onto the ground.

If it doesn't, then there's a quick fix which involves removing the wheel arch liner, locating the triangular rubber seal that the water should come out, & cut it off as it serves little purpose anyway

Thanks lxi.
Just the 3 then, 2 at the back and one at the front ?

Thanks lxi.
Just the 3 then, 2 at the back and one at the front ?

There are another two under the rear screen - if you open the boot & peer in, you will see two flexible hoses running down from the rear boot/window seal, but I don't believe they are prone to blocking.

There may be more to be honest, but the outside rear & front one are the ones to watch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom