R class as a second hand buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
Right, my brother who recently asked me to post about the CLS has now asked me to determine what the forum thinks of the R class.

so thoughts, opinions etc gratefully received. the vehicle would need to take 2 adults and 2 small children (3 years and a 2 month old)

It's being dropped by MB.

I personally like it - nice car. But only the Diesel, and only the LWB version. Avoid the Sport, go for the SE.

Since's it's been such a poor seller likely some serious bargains about if you look hard....

Its just been facelifted, so it wont be dying quiet so soon. 2nd hand should get you a hell of a lot of metal for your buck

My in-laws have had a LWB R350 for a couple of years and love it. I've been a passenger in the back a fair bit and it seems pretty comfortable and well put together.

RClass.jpg

I'm not generally a huge fan of merc styling, but I actually quite like the R class. if I was in the market for that sort of vehicle, I would certainly consider it.

Late last year I did see an R63AMG mind, and I bet that's an extremely rare car!

Contrary to the many opinions you will see on here by people who have never actually been in an R class - it is actually a very good car, and as a second hand buy, there are few cars that currently represent such value for money.

The thing that confuses everyone is - what is it? Yes, it's a 4x4, it is also and estate car, and it's and MPV too.

So depending on what you want it for, just like any other car, it is either suitable or not. For 2 adults and 2 kids, this will be a great car, with loads of space (opinions seem to prefer the 7 seat version whereas I think having 2 full size independent seats in the middle row are better).

The R class comes into its own on the motorway as it doesn't have the breeze block aerodynamics of a traditonal 4x4 and is near S class for comfort and quiet at motorway speeds. In town, yes it is enormous (I agree with previous post about going for the LWB - not sure why there is even a SWB version), but like any car, it take about 24 hours to get used to.

I have an SE, so am biased towards this model, I am sure the Sport is not much different, but I think the Edition S is probably worth a miss.

The 320 diesel is far and away the most popular, but the R500 does 0-60 is 6.something if I remember correctly - so pretty rapid for such a massive car.

One year one, this car still gives me a smile on my face, hasn't cause me any major problems and as a family car, I still think it takes some beating. Mine still attracts attention frequently as it is still rare and because of it's size, eye catching!

There are dozens of bargains around, starting at about £15k, but mor likley to pay early £20's for a low mileage LWB with Comand.

Good luck - don't listen to all the nay-sayers - they are just jealous!:p

I like them and the second hand prices are great.

I thought the R280Cdi was RWD only? but all the others were 4WD?

Given the huge drop you should fine a great buy even the popular R320Cdi's are getting low now. If you do few miles the R500 must look very tempting.

I could be tempted when I change by current bus

Contrary to the many opinions you will see on here by people who have never actually been in an R class - it is actually a very good car, and as a second hand buy, there are few cars that currently represent such value for money.

Browse any one of the US forums where the car is more popular than over here and horror stories abound. Remember, these are all newish cars too, it has not been around that long to blame 12 year old mechanicals for every fault. Maybe the early one suffered from poor build etc,maybe the latest ones are better? Do you feel lucky?

Russ

You can find horror stories about just every model if you look hard enough.

Like I said before, just another 'expert' view from a non-R class owner.:rolleyes:

I second Timwood

As an A class owner lots of people slate them, we have had no problems?

I think as a rule people hear stories, a friend of a friend etc and one person hearing this snow balls into a lot. How many as you say actually own the cars.

Like you say Ask OWNERS? Is it based on the ML or E class? and the engines are in almost all mercs now and they are sorted so what horror stories are they?

You can find horror stories about just every model if you look hard enough.

Like I said before, just another 'expert' view from a non-R class owner.:rolleyes:

That was my point, most models have been around for years & many problems are to be expected on older cars. On the US forums, the R was causing problems within weeks of being delivered. I did say maybe the later ones were better, who knows. How many have you owned that makes you an expert anyway, one or five hundred of them? :rolleyes:

Russ

My in-laws' R350 is a mid-2006 car. Only issue they've had AFAIK is that the power tailgate doesn't latch itself shut now ... needs a push.

They bought it in 2007 as a 12 month old car. List price then (new) was just over 70k Euros ... they paid 33k Euros! It's a highish spec. with with COMAND, leather, parktronic, etc.

My in-laws' R350 is a mid-2006 car. Only issue they've had AFAIK is that the power tailgate doesn't latch itself shut now ... needs a push.

Hatch problems common in US, for example...

"Much to my surprise, there were quite a few intermittent reliability issues (i.e.; the rear hatch would drain the battery in wet conditions. MB did not figure this out until the hatch completely failed."

Russ

They are great...so roomy and perfect for an adult family..

There's a great spec one at Mercedes-Benz Direct Caterham

R320 L CDI SE *COMAND,Rear Entertainment System,AirMatic - 21,995

I've never looked at these before, but seem like a great luxury family car

The first shock to get over is that they are not roomy. In the SWB version, which is the only one that is parkable in most places in the UK, the legroom in the front is less than the A class, B class, the C class, E class or S class. And not quite enough for me, I found. Then the middle row with the front seat fully back, I cannot get into as my kness hit the back of the driver's seat. If you are long-legged take a long test drive before making up your mind.

With all seats in use, there is virtually no boot at all. Bit like a mini.

The later versions gave up the silly original layout with 6 seats but no room for anyone's luggage and replaced it with 5 seats, set out almost like an estate car, and the option of either a large boot space or two more seats. This version makes more sense but they did not address the front legroom issue.

In the LWB version, which extends way beyond all normal parking bays, there is no more legroom in the front, but there is more in the middle, and the boot space is very big if you stick to five seats.

The 320cdi is in the top VED band.

Personally for two adults and two small children I would look at the E class estate and drive both. Don't only listen to those who own the R class. Listen also to those who have seriously assessed it and found it wanting. The E class offers much more legroom, better performance engine for engine, and much better fuel economy.

But if you like the high up driving position (which I do) and don't have a legroom problem then the R is certainly worth a look. A 4x4 without the social stigma.

Just might be worth bearing in mind that while the E estate is much sought after secondhand, it is not easy to get dealers to take an R class in when you want to move on. Just phone up and pretend you have a three year old long wheelbase version and see what they say.

Last edited:
I think they look like a ford smax that has been blown up a bit. Yuk.

In the LWB version, which extends way beyond all normal parking bays
The LWB R Class is 11" longer than a W211 estate. Big, but not totally impractical.

Thanks for all the opinions/thoughts.

Frankly I am trying to steer him down the e class estate route. I can just see him losing masses on the R class when it comes to re-sale. At least the estate would be easier to sell on. But its his money so its his roll of the die so to speak.

I will let you know what happens when he makes up his mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom