R107 - Corrosion in the driver side foot well

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tristand

Car
E250 CDI Coupe(C207) Year 2009 & 500 SEC(C126.044)
Hoping that someone has seen this before. Went to look at a R107 SL recently.

Without putting it up on a ramp, I did as detailed an inspection as I could. When I pulled up the drivers side floor carpets I saw some rust around what I can only call a sensor positioned in the body behind the throttle.

Firstly, I'm wondering what this sensor type thing is?

It's obvious that it's the source of the corrosion and is/was some sort of seal failure.

From what can be seen from the photos, would this be a big job to fix, would it require cutting out the panel and welding in a new one?

Would this be costly?

Would this corrosion be an indicator of other problem spots on the car.

I've searched this site and googled this with no avail!

30kspp1.jpg

20fqgyo.jpg

Walk away from that unless you have very deep pockets or a lot of time.

The 'sensor' is the kickdown switch. Not a big deal in it's own right but rust and dampness in the footwell invariably means the scuttle behind the dash has rotted through. Major constructional work required to reinstate that to any level of strength. The water goes through the grilles in the scuttle just in front of the screen. In time the drains block and the water then has nowhere to go other than down. And the fact that there's obviously been a bodge on the wiring at some time....

Any 107 with damp or musty smelling carpets is a no-no.

we restured one slc recently the heater ducket has whole or behind front wing threre is a whole eitherway need plating. find good cheap welder or old boy or eastern european welder n pay them with whiskey or vodka

we restured one slc recently the heater ducket has whole or behind front wing threre is a whole eitherway need plating. find good cheap welder or old boy or eastern european welder n pay them with whiskey or vodka

:dk:
Have you been on the whiskey, or the vodka ? :D

he,he

no somebody got to be has to be clean to ensure that the car does not catch fire

Thanks all for the advise, I'm leaving this one given the potential problems described on other posts regarding the bulkhead.

Broadly speaking R107s fall into two categories. The ones that have already had a lot of money/ work spent/done on them-----and the ones that haven't
Needless to say the first category are very expensive to purchase- anything that's cheap will in all probability be a basket case . Seriously consider the later R129 they haven't moved into the silly money territory- but the signs are there.

Agreed on the R129s, but in Ireland the road tax is prohibitively high for a car younger than 30 years, it's €1809 per year as opposed to €56 for anything after 30 years. That could be over 10K in tax alone if I was to get a 90s R129.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom