R129 - Fit Audio 10, or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
And there's more...

I want to fit a CD/Radio head unit to my R129; a single CD player will do. I don't need (or indeed want) anything too fancy - no whizzo technicolour yawn displays, flashing lights, "Hello and Welcome" messages -and I want something that looks reasonably period, so I will probably be buying a used unit. An Audio 10 in the mid to late Nineties style seems as though it might fit the bill.

I have a couple of general questions, though, before I make up my mind. Firstly, I assume that any standard single DIN unit will physically fit straight in? Am I right?

Secondly, I assume that because of the age of the car, there is no provision for a head unit to be coded to it, and that this means that no unit that DOES need to be coded to a car would work. Again, am I right?

And thirdly, if not an Audio 10, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Yes to single DIN, and yes to no coding. You may find that there's no ISO connector present on the wiring loom for the stereo.

Thank you for that, Drew. Is that yes to no coding to the car needed, or yes that no unit which needs coding would work at all, or yes to both?

There was a working Sony head unit fitted when I got the car, so I assume an ISO connector has been fitted.

No coding to the car. As far as I'm aware, on a single DIN any radio code would only be for the unit itself, with no bearing on where it was installed.

I'd fit the Mercedes Audio-10, or Audio-30, or Audio-30-APS. I fitted the latter in my 98 SL500 I had a long time ago - it was a MY1999 optional radio (and I fitted the D2B integrated phone system and CD changer and fold-out mount in the boot) - The Audio-30-APS is CD and Nav even if the Nav maps are going to be rather out of date

But then i'm always one for fitting what would have been fitted at factory (even if from a few face-lifts later)

Richard

I ended up getting an Audio 10 - a Becker BE6021 "removed from police vehicle prior to issue then placed in stores, correctly divorced from VIN of previous van so actually work straight away, includes security code removed, so plug and play ready to use" for £60 from an eBay seller with good feedback. It arrived yesterday, and does indeed appear unworn. There are two drilled mounting lugs lugs on the chassis behind the face plate which will need cutting off so it will fit into the fascia of my car, but I should be good to go soon. I thought that was a very reasonable price if the blurb was true; I'll know soon enough. Thank you again for the help and advice, gentlemen.

I was tempted by Jonnyboy's Becker Indianapolis (in the forum Classifieds), but I really don't need anything like that level of sophistication, and besides, it occurred to me that it might be pretty attractive to a thief, and the SL isn't the world's most secure car...

Last edited:
Do the unsavory felons bother stealing car radios anymore? They're so cheap compared to the smash-n-grab heyday, and with new cars having built in units it's a limited resale market.

They do, though not as much as they used to, and with a classy item like that, why take the risk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom