R129 keys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

056bob

Car
300SL 24
I have tried to order a new key through my local Mercedes dealer and have been informed that the keys are no longer available so if I have lost my key the car is effectively a write off. Where do I go now

Yes, pretty much...my understanding is post 1996 R129 SL keys are now obsolete, however you need to read recent topic thread (as posted above) which offers possible solutions...

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/216063-mercedes-r129-sl320-spare-key.html

Autotronics - Car Electronics Repair

I have tried to order a new key through my local Mercedes dealer and have been informed that the keys are no longer available so if I have lost my key the car is effectively a write off. Where do I go now

Last edited:
Thank you for that, the problem is the transponder chip if I lose my key I lose the chip I can source a blank key but not a spare chip

What year is the car?

Dec

I don’t think there is a chip in your key.

102068d1336630100-1997-e300d-w210-key-will-not-turn-dscn2699.jpg

The ignition switch ABOVE has a transponder coil around it, there fore it has a chip inside the key.

The ignition switch BELOW doesn’t have a transponder coil around it, there fore it doesn’t have a chip inside the key.

IGNb.jpg

Which ignition switches do you have, the top picture or the bottom picture?

Dec

Thank you I do not have the car with me so when I go home tonight I will check and repost. The key is the infra red single button flip out type and when I ordered the unobtainable key I had to supply a photo of the vin number and was told I had to take the car to the dealer to have it programed to the car so would assume some electronic trickery is involved

Thank you for your interest it is much appreciated

Stewart

Have you ordered a spare key Stewart?

Edit; Sorry ignore above, just read your first post again.

Dec

If Mercedes have indeed stopped supplying your particular key, at present, the only possible option is to have the immobiliser by-passed, I’m not sure if that can be done, the only way to find out is to contact an outfit like this here… Autotronics - Car Electronics Repair

Explain to them that you want to obtain a spare flip out key and Mercedes have stopped supplying them and ask if the can by-pass the Mercedes factory fitted immobiliser as pictured below.
Also, ask if by-passing the immobiliser will stop the flip out key from operating the central locking.

Picture below from Kiorash’s post… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/216063-mercedes-r129-sl320-spare-key-6.html

16271a779ff77fb337fc0d440ba8e6eb.jpg

If the above immobiliser can be bypassed then a “dry key” like below can be cut to become your new spare key, if you lose your flip out key then the dry key will still start the car, however , you will lose the central locking without the flip out electronics.

New-Car-font-b-Key-b-font-Shell-for-font-b-Mercedes-b-font-font-b.jpg

Dec

That may be the only way to go I can live without central locking if I have a usable car and not a automobile gate guardian, I do think this is very bad form on the part of Mercedes Benz who pride themselves on the longevity of their vehicles and then render some of them worthless by no longer producing keys for them

again thank you for your input

Stewart

Dec - am i correct in thinking early R129 series rectangular single button IR only keys are still available upto around 95' from MB?:confused: this has been recently covered on a few forums and is my understanding...

I don’t think there is a chip in your key.

102068d1336630100-1997-e300d-w210-key-will-not-turn-dscn2699.jpg

The ignition switch ABOVE has a transponder coil around it, there fore it has a chip inside the key.

The ignition switch BELOW doesn’t have a transponder coil around it, there fore it doesn’t have a chip inside the key.

IGNb.jpg

Which ignition switches do you have, the top picture or the bottom picture?

Dec

I have a 94 320SL no transponder immobiliser, this came later.
On this M/Y if you use the remote it sets the alarm/immobiliser, if you use the lock then it doesn't. I have a spare non remote key, cut by a local key cutting place, it's fine locks, unlocks and starts the car.

If you lock with the remote and unlock manually then you trigger the alarm/immobiliser though.

Dec - am i correct in thinking early R129 series rectangular single button IR only keys are still available upto around 95' from MB?:confused: this has been recently covered on a few forums and is my understanding...

All I know is that Stewarts 1992 R129 and Kiorashs R129 1996 is affected, this development is quite new, I wouldn’t be surprised that any flip out key up to about 1997 is also now no longer available.

Dec

All I know is that Stewarts 1992 R129 and Kiorashs R129 1996 is affected, this development is quite new, I wouldn’t be surprised that any flip out key up to about 1997 is also now no longer available.

Dec

I'm keeping my IR remote safely in the draw, plain key used day to day!

I'm keeping my IR remote safely in the draw, plain key used day to day!

If it were possible to by-pass the immobiliser, without disabling the central locking, would you do it?

Dec

Yes, but we now have conflicting forum opinions:dk:...i do think this is a moving target with MB...personally i would go with the flow ALL R129 keys are not available from MB.

Recent thread.
1998 SL320 Key Remotes - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Dec

Thanks, I was looking for that thread this morning and couldn’t find it, I think that guy is confused with the Scorpion alarm and the Mercedes immobiliser, with only one key he is in the same boat as Stewart on this thread here.

We will have to wait and see if any other models with the flip out key are in trouble too.

We will have to make a list, so far only the SL:
R129 1992
R129 1996
R129 1998 SL320

Dec

Your advice on here has been best i have seen...the SL Shop seemed totally clueless on the topic:crazy: but to be fair probably not aware that much about MB key supply deletion....

So, mine is a 1992MY R129, have a look at attached pic of my keys, it has a aftermarket immobilizer fob which has a docking port close to ignition, red light flashes then when connected full light for 20sec so i can start car...i presume this is aftermarket and fitted in the past to bypass MB immobilizer? or would this have been dealer fit? the car has alarm company stickers on it so i think aftermarket...does this fob stick have a battery inside?

Thanks, I was looking for that thread this morning and couldn’t find it, I think that guy is confused with the Scorpion alarm and the Mercedes immobiliser, with only one key he is in the same boat as Stewart on this thread here.

We will have to wait and see if any other models with the flip out key are in trouble too.

We will have to make a list, so far only the SL:
R129 1992
R129 1996
R129 1998 SL320

Dec

Attachments

• IMAG2568.jpg
    IMAG2568.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I have a 1997 SL500 with only one key and the Infa red key button needs a firm press now, plus it's got a broken case. I'm living overseas at the moment and the car is in the UK. I was hoping to get a replacement key next Spring. Does this mean it's impossible, or can I get a new key cut and replace the insides into a new case? A little worried now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom