R129 Ok for home maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chewa

Car
2007/8 E class Estate 280 CDI Elegance, 2000 SL280 Azurite with pano roof
Hi,
I'm looking for a hobby car, and have decided that I want something a bit "classic". Initially I was looking for a British sports car (having previously owned some Triumphs in the past) or maybe a Moggie Traveller but, as we love our S211 280 CDI estate, have wondered about an R129 SL 320.

I've done some research and they seem to be pretty well built but has anyone any experience of maintaining one yourself?

The E class is on a service plan so I've only had to do stuff like parking sensors, and my other vehicle is a Honda VFR so that just NEVER breaks, but as I've had British sports cars in the past am used to wielding the spanners :)

Any views? Anything I should look for? I'm not bothered whether its a straight or V six.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I am currently maintaining / restoring / treasuring / sweating over a 1999 R129 SL600 so probably the far end of the scale for R129 complexity.

I have a thread running about the car else where on this forum here:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/gene...-sl600-sport-new-acquisition.html#post2066149

I am quite useful with a spanner but not a genius. The cars are built absolutely beautifully and are very user friendly for maintenance. Check the thread...you will see what Ive done. Should think the 6 cylinders are very well built too but would be stretching to a 500 if you can. Also the later 722.6 gearbox is very worthwhile (97 onwards)...post 98 cars give you a few interior tweaks too. Lovely cars, absolutely love mine!

I do a lot of my own running repairs (see my "carried away" thread), it's a fairly logical car to work on. The main issues I find are access, it's quite low to the ground and there's a lot of stuff packed into not a lot a space, especially if you have a v8 or v12.

I've just acquired one and will keep reporting in my thread 'My first SL' on this forum .

It is , after all , a W124 under the skin , so eminently DIY-able :)

Last edited:
Also the later 722.6 gearbox is very worthwhile (97 onwards)...post 98 cars give you a few interior tweaks too. Lovely cars, absolutely love mine!

These came out in 96 (not being pedantic, but if it widens buying options?).

Thanks guys. I've had a V12 in the past (an XJS) which, thankfully, I didn't have to maintain myself. (I just had to bend over and drop my trousers at the dealers. :)

Tempting as a 500 would be I really fancy another 6 cylinder (I loved our TR6 and the couple of BMW 6 cylinders we have had, and the E is very smooth). I'll look out for the later gearbox. My problem is that there seem to be limited numbers in Scotland.

At least nobody has said "DON'T".

I'm already imagining bombing down the autoroute!

I got a 320 straight 6 it's as stated the last of the diyers drove it today round Oxfordshire country roads greatest fun for so little and last of the classic looking mercy in my opinion
Just get one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom