R129 roof ... Fault finding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You probably sent them on a wild goose chase by telling them about banana clips! My 1993 w124 also has 38 pin....

Agree, quite likely unfortunately. Just hoping it is the actual fault.

The cable is useful but I will need software to reset it? I have a Snap on reader which is OBD2 ... But doubt it will go backwards and read a Merc roof controller?

I have just looked at the tool I am awaiting and it does 38 pin too so I might be in luck.
I think half my problem is I am just confused about the different ports.

Parking it now until the tool arrives!

Last edited:
This might be of use if you can get to the codes, although I doubt you'll get any codes for the roof without a Star.

Roadster Soft Top (RST) 129 Model Model Years 1/94-6/96

FAULT CODE TABLE DTC Readout Possible Cause of Failure

1 No faults stored
2 Low voltage
3 RST/RB hydraulic unit locked up.
4 Vehicle speed sensor fault
5 RST/RB hydraulic unit
6 Right or left power window activation
7 Right or left front soft top “locked” switch fault, Soft top open/closed switch, Fabric bow locked switch,
8 Power soft top control module defective
9 Roll bar crash deployment has occurred
10 Power soft top switch or Roll bar switch.
11 Power soft top switch indicator lamp or Roll bar switch indicator lamp or Warning buzzer.

Roll Bar (RB)

FAULT CODE TABLE DTC Readout Possible Cause of Failure

1 No faults found
2 Roll bar control module
3 Volts supply
4 Driver seat belt lock relay open circuit or short circuit to Battery + or ground (-).
5 Passenger seat belt lock relay open circuit or short circuit to Battery + or ground (-).
6 Roll bar deployment solenoid, open circuit or short circuit to Battery + or ground (-).
7 Left and/or right axle switch, roll bar, short circuit to 30 or 31
8 Roll bar warning lamp
9 SRS warning lamp and/or code scanner button held to erase faulty
10 SRS control unit

Thanks sp!ke, much appreciated.

I have bought one of these ... It is supposed to show the codes so fingers crossed.

https://sites.google.com/site/mercedesplanetcom/services

Will report back with findings ... Need postie to hurry up!

Interested to see if these are any good. Let me know.. Following your roof woes. Hope sorted soon.

I hope that works for you but it looks very much like something you could have made yourself.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HDTS02fdLDw

Agree totally .. Very simple to make but this saves some time and struggling at the moment with work, tiling, painting fences and a tonne of other things so was happy to pay. It looks a neat little box and would have driven me nuts looking for my soldering iron!

I don't think it will give you the codes you are looking for.

To get the roof codes you'll need to get it on a star. You will also save money and time by doing so. When you pop over to get the springs we can get it on a star if you like.

Last edited:
I don't think it will give you the codes you are looking for.

To get the roof codes you'll need to get it on a star. You will also save money and time by doing so. When you pop over to get the springs we can get it on a star if you like.

Thanks, that would be great. Will stay in touch on that for sure.
It was posted a week ago now so can't be far away. If it doesn't work lets switch to that as plan B.

One of the guys on a US forum suggested touching together the postive and negative battery leads (with no battery) which is meant to reset things too. I am not sure I want to try that?!

One of the guys on a US forum suggested touching together the postive and negative battery leads (with no battery) which is meant to reset things too. I am not sure I want to try that?!

I can confirm that sacrificing a goat at midnight when there is a Full Moon doesn't work!

Watching with interest (fellow sufferer with 1993 SL and roof problems)

I can confirm that sacrificing a goat at midnight when there is a Full Moon doesn't work!

Watching with interest (fellow sufferer with 1993 SL and roof problems)

What about stepping it up and using the missus for said sacrifice? :devil:

Here we go with an update.
The reader/reset box arrived today.
Flashes were:

17- limit switch left side window down circuit in power soft top control module, solenoid valve, roll bar retracted.

18 - limit switch right side window down circuit hydraulic unit, circuit solenoid valve, roll bar retracted

27 - insufficient volts

28- no speedometer signal

29- no axle vehicle speed sensor signal

30- soft top operation blocked.

Also to add ... I read the above codes and reset the first one. The following ones then had disappeared so was unable to reset any others.
I then started the engine and found the battery was dead!

I charged that for 3 hours and started again as code was showing.

Tried the roof and still the same issue. (Flashes when i use button to retract and nothing happens)

Losing will to live by this stage so just taken battery off the car to charge for longer in the vain hope it will make a blind bit of difference.

Pretty much drawing a blank now ... I can rebook with the roof expert but its a 20 day wait! I dont care what it costs i just want to fix the bloody thing now. I rang loads of local diagnostic places today but no luck.

Your battery really does need to be on top form for the roof.

Also, re 29, didn't someone mention that there was some link to the speed sensor and the roof so that the roof doesn't think you are moving too fast to operate.

Might that fault code be a clue?

Your battery really does need to be on top form for the roof.

Also, re 29, didn't someone mention that there was some link to the speed sensor and the roof so that the roof doesn't think you are moving too fast to operate.

Might that fault code be a clue?

Agree 29 is a possible clue. The green and black cable i left attached in error when i changed the stereo is also a speed cable to so might be related too. (Removed other day though)

The battery oddly wouldnt fully recharge on my good quality battery charger. It was on for several hours. The battery was brand new the day I bought it (previous owner installed it before i picked it up)

The battery oddly wouldnt fully recharge on my good quality battery charger. It was on for several hours. The battery was brand new the day I bought it (previous owner installed it before i picked it up)

That sounds more like a faulty charger than battery.

That sounds more like a faulty charger than battery.

It seems to be stuck at 5 out of 7 recharge bars and is smelling a bit.
To cover all bases I will buy another charger in the morning ... Will leave it for another hour or so.

Want to scream!

Is it an electrical burning smell or an eggy acid burning smell?

Could be either the charged or battery getting hot you see...

Is it an electrical burning smell or an eggy acid burning smell?

Could be either the charged or battery getting hot you see...

It's definitely the charger .... It is warm and giving a sweet smelling plastic sort of smell.
Interesting though it just moved up a bar. It's been charging for 6 hours in total now (with the earlier charge).. But at least it's showing an increase in held charge.
Wondering if there is an alternator problem perhaps? I did notice it struggled to start the other day. Battery is clearly not well.

I'd give the battery a min 12hr charge, 24hr would be better.

I'd give the battery a min 12hr charge, 24hr would be better.

Will do ... Although won't leave it on overnight just in case I get cooked in my bed :)

A good shout I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom