R129 windscreen wiper problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

944S2cab

Car
1999 W220 S430
Yesterday the windscreen wiper stopped working on my 1995 SL500.
Today I have found that the motor is working on all settings. It is turning the splined shaft that connects to the linkage. When the motor works the linkage does not move.

I tightened the nut securing the linkage to the motor, but the motor would not move the linkage. (I was able to move the linkage by hand.) I stripped down the linkage, cleaned out the old grease and put some CV joint moly grease in. I reassembled everything including torquing the nuts as per the workshop manual and refitted it to the car. I switched the wiper on and the wiper arm moved slightly before blowing the fuse.

I wondered if the grease was too heavy causing the mechanism to drag. I took out the new grease and replaced it with some light spray grease. The mechanism moved more freely. I put everything back together and switched on. No movement at the linkage.

If I loosen the nut holding the linkage to the splined shaft on the motor, the shaft will turn. When I progressively tighten the nut the splined shaft stops turning and the linkage will not move.

Cleaning up the splines achieved nothing. I noticed that the part of the linkage which fits on the splines does not itself have any splines - it is smooth.

I opened up the motor and checked the brushes. They are protruding from the carriers by a few millimetres so I assume they are still OK.

I have spent all day working on this and I am no nearer to sorting it out. Any suggestions for getting the wiper working again would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom