R129 Woofer Mounting Depth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129Melvin

Car
R231 SL
Anyone know the mounting depth possible on the large 6.5'' woofer in the lower door on a late model R129 (door card with fabric).

Also, I understand I can change that speaker without removing the whole door card, can anyone guide me on this? Thanks

Anyone? I know JBL GTO's go in at 2-1/16- Inch mounting depth but I'd like to get some Focals in there.

Thank you

Also, I saw this photo, can anyone advise how to gently remove the lower speaker cover (I'm leaving the mid in place like this photo) without causing any damage to the trim? I'm going to have a go at this myself. Thanks!

14d28o5.jpg

Anyone know the mounting depth possible on the large 6.5'' woofer in the lower door on a late model R129 (door card with fabric).

Also, I understand I can change that speaker without removing the whole door card, can anyone guide me on this? Thanks

Aren't the door speakers (woofer and mid - tweeter being mounted in the dash) integral to each other, sharing a one piece mounting bracket? They are on earlier models.

$_57.JPG

Last edited:
I'm interested in the audio set up. My R129 has a kenwood head unit and (from an old invoice) some pioneer mid and tweeters fitted 2004.

On the drive the audio actually sounds fine, once on the move it leaves something to be desired. I'm blaming it on a less than perfect (acoustically) interior and soft top. Is it possible (without spending a fortune) to get some decent sound?

Thank you

I'm interested in the audio set up. My R129 has a kenwood head unit and (from an old invoice) some pioneer mid and tweeters fitted 2004.

On the drive the audio actually sounds fine, once on the move it leaves something to be desired. I'm blaming it on a less than perfect (acoustically) interior and soft top. Is it possible (without spending a fortune) to get some decent sound?

I'll report back next week. Potentially I'm trying something that will only cost a couple of hundred but should give a huge improvement in quality.

Aren't the door speakers (woofer and mid - tweeter being mounted in the dash) integral to each other, sharing a one piece mounting bracket? They are on earlier models.

$_57.JPG

I'll find out in a few days. After doing some research, I'm leaving the mids where they are, like the guy in the photo I posted above, but changing the 6.5'' woofer and dash tweeters. I already have a new DAB head unit.

My car doesn't have Bose, which is lucky as I thought most late models did. I think it would have been a lot more complicated if it did.

You seem to know these situations well Greame, could I ask where you would put crossovers? The obvious place is the door pockets, just wondering if you have any other ideas? Thanks

Not really but engineering wise the closer to the door hinge to reduce shock and to avoid the base of of the door to avoid any potential water accumulation would be best. It depends on the dimensions of the cross over of course but there may be scope to fit it beside the existing midrange unit? Later door panels are complicated by the presence of air bags of course.
1996-2002-Mercedes-Benz-SL500-R129-Passenger-Side-Door-Panel-A1297209470-331683648714-6.jpg

141006d1189037843-newer-door-panel-removal-door-check-100_1877.jpg

Newer door panel removal / door check strap installation - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Also, I saw this photo, can anyone advise how to gently remove the lower speaker cover (I'm leaving the mid in place like this photo) without causing any damage to the trim? I'm going to have a go at this myself. Thanks!

14d28o5.jpg

On the underneath of the door there should be a screw, simple self tapping I think, if you remove this the grill covering the speakers should slide forward and then lift out. you may struggle to get to one of the screws, which are some form of torx screw, to remove the bass speaker. Otherwise you'll need to take the whole panel off but you shouldn't need to worry about the airbag as it's mounted on the door not the panel.:)

I actually wish I'd known this before breaking three of the clips at the bottom of my door panel trying to get it off! :(

Thank you guys, yes the airbag was my concern. If anyone knows a good installer in London/Herts/Bucks I may just chicken out and give it to them. The airbags are my big worry with taking off the whole doorcard.

Thank you guys, yes the airbag was my concern. If anyone knows a good installer in London/Herts/Bucks I may just chicken out and give it to them. The airbags are my big worry with taking off the whole doorcard.

If you look at the photo of the red door with the panel removed the black box is the airbag which remains attached to the door when you remove the panel. :)

Ok so it was quite easy in the end. Despite several people telling me that my car definitely has an amp under the rear seat because apparently all late cars have them, Bose or non Bose (as mine) - it turned out there was no amp.

Replaced 6.5 woofers and dash tweeters with high quality components. Replaced the 3.5'' mids with 4'' coaxials.

All driven off the head unit as I have a new Sony unit with good output. Crossovers were hidden in the dash and all tidied up by a friend who routed the DAB aerial and bluetooth microphone around the dash.

How does it sound?

Speakers need to be run in and I will play with EQ but fantastic improvement, I would say at least equal to the Burmester we have in our new Merc. Though obviously less speakers (which may be a good thing as your spatial awareness of where the music is coming from is better).

Speakers need to be run in and I will play with EQ but fantastic improvement, I would say at least equal to the Burmester we have in our new Merc. Though obviously less speakers (which may be a good thing as your spatial awareness of where the music is coming from is better).

Other issues have cropped up so I haven't got round to sorting the stereo on mine. I'm intending putting an age appropriate head unit it , Mercedes Audio 10 CD/Radio, or similar to replace the tacky Halfords thing in there at the moment, I'm not too bothered about Bluetooth or MP3. I have however got sick and tired of the LH bass speaker cutting in and out so I'm curious as to what you put in place of the original speakers did you use straight forward base speakers, dual cones or co-axial for the 6.5 inch speakers. My other speakers appear to be working fine so I won't be replacing these unless needs be. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom