R172 dash cam wiring (with power from arm rest / storage compartment)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xxaosicxx

Car
2013 R172 SLK350
Hi all!

I've just ordered a Mobius 1 (the wide-angle C2 model) action cam to record my trip up to Scotland to do the NC500 route in my SLK350 over five days next week.

I don't plan to use the camera as a traditional "dash cam" - I want to capture the scenery and, from watching various videos online, I've decided that I'd like to place the camera between the driver and passenger, facing forwards over the rear parking sensor display - so it'll show the driver and passenger a little bit, as well as the view looking forwards (that's probably not a very good description).

Anyway, the camera will run happily off the 12V universal power socket - and, because there's one in the central storage compartment (under the arm rest), I'm looking for a safe and tidy way to route the USB cable from that compartment up the back of the cockpit (possibly keeping any excess cable tucked away in the otherwise-useless elasticated rear pocket) to the parking sensor/speaker area where I'll mount the camera.

Looking inside the central compartment, at the rear, there's a small plastic "cut out" which LOOKS like it'd move out of the way nicely to allow a cable through... but it doesn't want to budge. Am I really going to have a drill a hole through the compartment to run a cable out from it? :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

More information about the camera here and here for anyone that's interested.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom