R230 Door speaker replacement - not BOSE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordlee

Car
A207 E350 CDI Brabus D6
Hi All,

I am removing the door cards on the SL as I'm having some hydro-dipping done. Whilst I have them off I'm considering upgrading the speakers. As I understand it there are 8" bass drivers 4" mids and tweeters. There is a shallow mounting depth for the OEM 8" driver. Mid and tweeter are fed from 1 channel of the OEM amp, via built in crossover (4 ohm combined) bass driver is fed from another channel of OEM amp via built in crossover (2.5 ohm). I am thinking that perhaps the following speakers would be suitable alternatives and thought I'd ask the opinion of any audiophiles on here. I dont want to spend a great deal so these are currently what I'm looking at:-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008GTWAI2/
Ground Zero Iridium GZIF4003X | Car Audio Direct

Will these be suitable please?

Hello Lordlee,

I walk with the same thoughts, because one of my 8" OEM woofer is deceased. For the woofer, there is only a depth of max 5.8 to 6 cm available. I thought of this woofer: Audio System AX 08 FL.
Because the standard woofer is mounted backwards the polarity of the connection had to be also, but it is not. (might be in the amplifier) During a frequency sweep test you hear a dip somewhere between 600 and 900 Hz, the crossover frequency between woofer and mid. I will measure this soon whit a scoop. If the woofer is really out phase the turning of the connection will bring a big improvement.
To be continued.

the OEM speaker
(LHD driver's side)

http://www.duinvallei.site90.com/20150515_132430.jpg

Last edited:
Woofer is mounted backwards, turn the polarity

Hi,
I have measured the OEM r230 speakers with a scoop.

scoop_1KHz.jpg
Scoop

In the picture you can see a 1000 Hz signal measured on the + of the woofer (above) and the + mid speaker (below). These are in phase. However the woofer is mounted backwards, the sound in the crossover area will be weakened. I have turned the connection of the woofer and was surprised by the result. It takes only 5 minutes per side. Remove the speaker cover from below upwards thrusting and pulling towards. Now you can simply reach the woofer connection.
Success, and I am looking forward to your findings. (still need an upgrade?)

Woofer connection
woofer_connection.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom