R230 (SL350 / SL500) standard spec

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

julesn

Hi All, hope to be an R230 (SL350 / SL500) owner in 2011 !!

Seen loads of ads with page after page of spec but keen to understand what comes as 'standard' and what the options are to decide if the money being asked is reasonable

I need to have electric fold mirrors ( as the car is quite wide ? and part of my commute is through the lanes) and would prefer front rear parking sensors (RDC ?) as parking in my area is becoming increasingly difficult.

The other main one 'to have' appears to be COMMAND ?

I think i understand what Command does so how do non command cars cope - what is the difference ?

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom

Friend of mine is selling an sl55amg cheap - see my advert on his behalf.

Hi-Can't really help with the spec as I think diferent years had different standard spec. You NEED the 500-It's law around these parts! V8-yummm

Welcome to the forum, I can't quite help you with the complete list but I will try...

Folding mirrors,
Leather interior,
Command,
ABC air suspension ( optional on the SL350 and standard on the rest)
Electric roof,
Climate control,
Parkings sensors are OPTIONAL,
Panoramic roof OPTIONAL,
TV OPTIONAL,
Bose sound system OPTIONAL,
CD changer OPTIONAL,
Keyless go OPTIONAL and I thing standard on the SL600 (not sure),

There are of course a lot more but these are some of the nice things I could think of,
regarding which of the car to go for, depends on how deep your pockets are (hehe)...

Welcome to the forum, I can't quite help you with the complete list but I will try...

Folding mirrors,
Leather interior,
Command,
ABC air suspension ( optional on the SL350 and standard on the rest)
Electric roof,
Climate control,
Parkings sensors are OPTIONAL,
Panoramic roof OPTIONAL,
TV OPTIONAL,
Bose sound system OPTIONAL,
CD changer OPTIONAL,
Keyless go OPTIONAL and I thing standard on the SL600 (not sure),

Just to add to this list (and one minor correction :eek:)

Comfort seats (multi adjust, heat, air-cool & massage function) - optional
Linguatronic (waste of time & a control stalk!) - optional (I think)
ABC (active body control) is different to air - it's an active, hydraulic system that basically means the car sits level, so no body roll, diving or squatting on brake/accelerate

Apart from the TV which you will never use once over the novelty, all the options are certainly desirables in my opinion

Comand is standard in all R230 - it's the screen for satnav, radio etc

Comand is standard in all R230 - it's the screen for satnav, radio etc

You would be so shocked, I once saw a n SL350 (R230), manual with no command for sale at mercedes benz dealers, could not believe my eyes....

You would be so shocked, I once saw a n SL350 (R230), manual with no command for sale at mercedes benz dealers, could not believe my eyes....

Someone must have fitted an after market stereo then.

The options on an SL will vary a little from year to year and model to model.

What sort of budget will you have available? That will help us to narrow down the years and provide more accurate info.

Regards,

i cant beleve this, i didnt think mercedes even made a manual tranny for the 230? you should of took a pic..

Someone must have fitted an after market stereo then.

The options on an SL will vary a little from year to year and model to model.

What sort of budget will you have available? That will help us to narrow down the years and provide more accurate info.

Regards,

looking to spend £20-£25k, would like a pan roof in addition to the parking sensors and folding mirrors (which area standard ?)

hopefully a 2004 - 2006

I believe the dash was updated (wider screen) in late 04 / early 05 and there was a complete facelift in 06 with more power and economy of the SL350 (and 500 ?)

any additional info gratefully received

For that money you should get a nice low mileage 500 SL, i have just been through the same process, ruled out the 350 as it did not excite me enough and ended up buying a 2007, 500 with the 388BHP engine.

All i can say is take your time and look at a few, and stick to you min. list of options, as there are enough out there to get what you want, check carefully the service history, and also look over the car well, i looked at a very nice silver, low milage one at a None fracnched Mercedes car dealer in Derby, it looked like it had had a very poor respray, to a lot of the panels, it even looked like one of the front wings had been off, apparently the dealer had not spotted this!!!

Check every thing works, also check the keys as they are over £200 each, if its keyless check the keys one at a time leaving one some distance away from the car so that it will not interfere with the other one working, i did not do this to my cost as both the keys where on the same key ring so it looked like the keyless go worked fine, but it only worked on one key.

I bought a sales brochure off e-bay to check the spec, i will post a scan later if i can.
Good luck with the hunt.
Grant
PS. don't forget that the tax is almost twice as much after March 2006 [ what ever SL you buy i think ].

Last edited:
Not sure where you are based but a couple in the Yorkshire Post of late.
Welch near york has a couple.

First pic. is the Standard Spec. then options and the last pic is the tech. spec, from 2007 Book.

Attachments

• 07-12-2010 15;00;54.jpg
    07-12-2010 15;00;54.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 07-12-2010 15;01;23.jpg
    07-12-2010 15;01;23.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 129
  • 07-12-2010 15;02;44.jpg
    07-12-2010 15;02;44.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 124
hopefully a 2004 - 2006

I believe the dash was updated (wider screen) in late 04 / early 05 and there was a complete facelift in 06 with more power and economy of the SL350 (and 500 ?)

any additional info gratefully received[/QUOTE]

I believe in 2006 the engine changed from 3700cc to 3500 cc but as you mention more power and more efficient.

many thanks for excellent feedback -will keep you posted as the search unfolds....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom