R231 sl 400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
After an eventful few months with the Morgan, I came to my senses .. I got rid of it and I bought a 15 month old, 1000 miles, almost fully loaded SL400 earlier this month. It is just lovely to be back in a Mercedes .. it’s like coming home.

IMG_3181_zpsagihodoo.jpg

IMG_3180_zpsz3zr1z9c.jpg

Options:
Driving assistance package
: DISTRONIC PLUS
: Active Blind Spot Assist
: Active Lane-Keeping Assist

KEYLESS-GO Comfort Package
: HANDS-FREE ACCESS
: Remote boot closing

Analogue clock
Electric wind deflector
Cup holder
Reversing camera with guidance lines
Front seats - comfort ventilated
Airscarf - neck level heating
Magic Sky Control
Wood trim - black ash
19" AMG alloy wheels (4) - 7-twin spoke design, grey
Harman Kardon® Logic 7® Surround-sound system
Ambient lighting
Closing aid for doors
Fuel Tank- Increased 75 litre capacity

Hyacinth Red metallic
Porcelain nappa leather

It’s my first SL ever, and my first ‘modern’ Mercedes.

I was very close to ordering a facelift SL400 with the 367hp and 9G gearbox (mine has 333hp and 7G) when I stumbled upon this car one Sunday evening; it’s a colour combination I had considered, but probably not what I would have ordered from new – I was almost set on selenite grey and saddle brown interior.

What sealed it was the video sent by the salesman. Once I saw the video, I had to have it – over a couple of days, I agreed the deal with the Mercedes Wolverhampton. It’s not easy negotiating when you want a car badly and when there is nothing else (colour combination and spec wise) that comes close.

This car has my “essentials”, “nice to haves” and more – while not being black or silver with black interior.

It is so much better in all respects than the SLC43 than I drove. The SL is much stiffer, handles and rides better, and feels and is much more advanced than the SLC – I make this comparison because a new SLC43 to my spec after discount is about what I paid for the SL400. The all aluminium chassis of the SL really does make it a superb GT.

Hyacinth red is stunning on the SL, especially when clean and combined with the porcelain nappa leather – I would say that, wouldn’t I? The quality of paint is superb, the lustre and depth really lovely. The more I look at my car, the more I prefer it to the facelift with its more complicated and bling ‘Mercedes Corporate’ look front – again, I might just be a Mum learning to love her ugly baby J

The bi turbo V6 is quick and responsive enough in almost all traffic situations. It is smooth, revs quite freely and surprisingly torquey. It lacks the kick in the back of a V8K AMG, it doesn’t sound anything like such an AMG but as an overall package, it just works beautifully. The engine and exhaust sound is standard modern car loud without any tone or interest, but I don’t mind as it is not a sporty car for me.

The ride is well damped, but can be a touch rough on nasty pot holed London roads. Overall though, it rides and handles well despite its size, weight and width. It is not unsettled by diagonal bumps or ridges. On the motorway, it cruises like a proper GT .. comfortable with just the right hint of firmness and sportiness. It feels quite agile up until 8/10ths when all is controlled and in check. Quite what happens beyond that, I don’t know and I don’t have any desire to find out .. it seems rude to expect an SL to behave like a hooligan!

The steering is completely feel free, and a bit strange just off center. Once you get going, it is accurate, but it is inert and you get no feedback at all. The only way I judge how the car is coping with speed in the corners is the degree of lean and roll. However, its limits are plenty high enough for public roads.

The 7G gearbox works well in Eco mode, but is a bit lazy. In Sport mode, it’s slightly demented, sticking with lower gears for longer than necessary, and reverting to lower gears even when you have changed up using the paddles. Exhaust is louder in Sport mode, but it’s the worst of the three for me. Manual mode is OK, but is a bit inconsistent with the GT nature of the SL. In any mode, 7G refuses to execute 2 or more quick successive pulls on the either of the paddles; you have to flick it, wait a bit, flick again. I should just accept it’s not a double clutch transmission. Having said all that, Eco is fine for most of the time. Sport is entertaining but it only works well if you are driving very spiritedly. Manual is probably the best compromise when you want to escape some of the stupor of Eco. On a scale of 1 to 10, 7G scores about 7. Good enough.

Very pleased with Distronic Plus which is perfect for average speed camera routes; so relaxing and so easy. At higher cruising speeds, it works well too but is at its best at light to medium traffic density on motorways. When there are many cars about, Distronic Plus is like an introvert struggling with all the extroverts demanding its attention.

I have turned off Lane Keeping Assist as its constant vibrating when I change lanes without indicating (when there is not much point when little/no traffic around or traffic too far away to be affected) was annoying me. At first, I thought it a good safety aid as it forced me not to behave like an Audi/BMW driver – but the nannying got to me.

This is the first car I have ever had with intelligent lights; a feature which is really convenient and which makes driving at night so much easier. Only issue is when you pull out to overtake, you can’t switch on high beam .. you have to turn the light switch from Auto to headlights.

The HK sound system can play music loud without much distortion. Clarity is OK, but could be better; that may just be the quality of the MP3 file. The bass is lovely though, no rattling trim or anything, just lovely thumps!

I am also enjoying driving roof up with all windows down for the pillarless coupe effect. Roof down, all 4 windows and wind deflector up, there’s some buffeting at high speed, but absolutely comfortable. Superb. Roof up and all windows up, it’s coupe like quiet. Impressive. I have a slight rattle on driver’s door which I think can probably be fixed by lubricating the seals.

In summary, I am delighted with the car. It is accomplished, well mannered, well bred and looks good from some angles. It’s wide though.

Fabulous looking car, I'd love one.

I feel like you've come full circle and ended up back where you started looking Sean.

I'm looking forward to a meet at some point in the future when the sun is out.

Your write up is spot on, ours spends most of it's life in Eco mode, it just wafts around and is most at home on motorways and smooth sweeping back roads.

Sport mode should be renamed "Daft mode" the throttle behaves like an on and off switch as opposed to a progressive control of power. It's fun in small doses but you couldn't drive like that daily.

They are wide though and the long doors don't help when trying to park.

This is not a Sports car in the same way a 911 or AMG GT is. It's a wafty fun tourer with a turn of speed that is just a lovely place to be.

I also find the seats very comfortable indeed. 6000 miles in ours so far and I enjoy it now as much as the day we picked it up.

Last edited:
Lovely car Sean, dare I ask what happened with the Morgan?

Good one Sean. I'm not normally a fan of red cars, but that looks very nice..

Cheers,

Gaz

went out in the sun this morning for cake and tea.

I am very happy the SL.

It's got all the poke I need for the driving I do, the chassis is stiff, the ride is compliant, the handling is better than you expect, and the interior is perfect roof down even in 5C. Even the steering is accurate, albeit feel free and inert.

As a package, it's superb.

some top down pics :)

IMG_3437_zps3kgndb7l.jpg

IMG_3439_zpslndvx25j.jpg

IMG_3438_zps1tii9ct0.jpg

Ours was unwrapped today to take advantage of the sunshine also.

the best view .. you can't see the front or the back :D:D

DJI_0004_zpsiakrhob9.jpg

I got 33.6mpg during a 115 mile run on Saturday .. amazing!

Lovely car Sean, dare I ask what happened with the Morgan?

As a Morgan owner myself I would hazard a guess at comical build quality and woeful indifference from the factory.

As a Morgan owner myself I would hazard a guess at comical build quality and woeful indifference from the factory.

actually build quality was excellent.

factory was very helpful too, from CEO downwards

Now nearly 3 years old, 20 months in my care and 13500 miles later ... I love this car

Accomplished, comfortable, handles well, rides well, fast enough and safe

Recent jaunt to Scotland
219CED54-68E4-4420-83B9-044BF85C50C0_zpseudqaipm.jpeg

One of our female friends in her late 60's was hankering after another SLK after the lease was up on her C class in February. She finally settled on a 2 year old SL400 , it is a metallic blue and looks lovely. Unfortunately due to the lockdown in Wales I have not yet experienced a trip in it but am looking forwards to it. As I cannot afford one I will just have to continue to get my kicks out of my SLK.

Hyacinth Red is a fantastic colour on these and the styling is fantastic. Mrs Bolide approves.

What is the 'Magic Sky' option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom