Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CLS Newbie

Car
Mercedes E250 CGI Mercedes R320CDI
I bought a UK imported R320 CDI 2007 model through a local dealer.

It’s got 42k miles on the clock and everything seems to check out consistent with the mileage.

Recently, while revving up from the low gears, there is some kind of engine/gearbox? jerking. Sometimes once it clears the low gears and move on to higher gears, engine/gearbox? goes back to normal.

At times, the R will lose power, revving would be difficult.

With very few R class here, let alone a diesel model, I had difficulty getting the proper diagnose.

I read in some postings, is to get the fault codes read through a STAR system, but given the imports status, the local Mercedes agent will not touch the R.

The so-called local Mercedes expert garage are still to figure out how to use a MB SD Connect4. (not sure whether this is the same STAR system?)

In the meantime, the initial diagnose was to replace the:
1. Backpressure sensor
2. Turbo actuator

However, I was also advised that this was not the cause but was a consequential result of the need to change/ modify the DPF filter? To suit the Euro 3 diesel?

I'm not sure whether this is a correct diagnosis. Although supposedly that the diesel fuel here is the Euro 3 standard, but given this is a 2007 model, I suspect the the correct diesel rating for this would still be the Euro 3 standard. Euro 5 would apply only for latter model Mercedes.

Now the problem has gotten worst that the R won’t start at all! This was after the mechanics were messing with the R, which I guess fiddling with the DPF filter, flushing the diesel fuel etc.

I'm hoping to get some advice here so I can convey it to the mechanics on what to check and look out for.

I also read in MB forums that 2 possible causes - MAF and DPF - It seems oth are major repair costs, if this is the correct diagnosis.

You bed proper star disg on this car. I would suspect a faulty turbo and or the back pressure sensor.

I've also had a few that have had faulty fuel pumps causing weird faults.

I have the same occassional, intermittent problem with mine - sometime under hard accelleration, I get the strong jerky feedback from the gears, with loss of power, like they are slipping, or not engaging properly. If I ease off, then it seems OK again. No other issues. Happens so occassionally, I have not had it properly checked out (apart from mentioning it at the last service, but got no information back).

I'm very interested to see if this gets diagnosed - either way it feels like it is gonna be expensive...

Thanks. Got it. Will get the garage check out.

1. Turbo
2. Back pressure sensor
3. Fuel pump

Being a non-authorised garage, All the garage have is the SD Connect4 machine. I cant seem to send the link here, but can Google up.

Is this the same Star system?

Will revert with my findings!!

Many thanks again.

Last edited:
Had a word with the garage and confirmed that at least 2 out of 3 possible causes, both the turbo and fuel pumps are working fine.

I now have a secondary problem - The R won't start.

The SD Connect4 diagnostic tool suggested that "Rail pressure" specified value of >1740 is only reading at 94! and keeps on dropping.

They've been at the R for the last 5 days and nothing seems to work.

Get them to check the live data of the back pressure sensor. I bet its sky high. If it is then that will be the cause.

Get them to check the live data of the back pressure sensor. I bet its sky high. If it is then that will be the cause.

Finally got the R back, but without much word from the garage.

They managed to get the R started but the initial jerking problem is still there. So back to square one. The garage insisted on the need to replace the DPF/ catalytic converter??

I now realised that on higher gears, the jerk is caused at around 3,800 rpm.

Brought it to another garage and diagnosed 2 fault codes:-

1. Backpressure sensor
2. EGR (Exhaust gas recirculation)

This seems to be more in line with your advise.

Dilemma whether to change the Backpressure sensor and EGR or the DPF/catalytic converter. or worst all 3?

R class gearbox oil needs to be changed after about 50000 miles so does air filters etc etc

I finally got my car back from the 1st garage who spend a whole month doing I wondered what, waffling between DPF filter, remapping ECU and other unrelated stuffs.

Brought it to another garage, and within the day did the following:-

1. Took out 2 out of 3 catalytic converters which prolly chocked the exhaust system and replaced it with some new pipes.

2. Replaced the EGR.

Its been 1 1/2 days. So far the indications are good.

Appreciate some help on some residual unrelated issues:

(i) Any estimates on how much the EGR replacement would cost?

(ii) Would there be any consequences for removing the catalytic converters?

Thanks all for helping me resolve this.

I have the same occassional, intermittent problem with mine - sometime under hard accelleration, I get the strong jerky feedback from the gears, with loss of power, like they are slipping, or not engaging properly. If I ease off, then it seems OK again. No other issues. Happens so occassionally, I have not had it properly checked out (apart from mentioning it at the last service, but got no information back).

I'm very interested to see if this gets diagnosed - either way it feels like it is gonna be expensive...

Brought it to another garage, and within the day did the following:-

1. Took out 2 out of 3 catalytic converters which prolly chocked the exhaust system and replaced it with some new pipes.

2. Replaced the EGR.

Its been 1 1/2 days. So far the indications are good.

Repair update. Within 36 hours, proved that:

1. Taking out 2 out of 3 catalytic converters didn't work.
2. Replacing the EGR didn't work either.

Help :-(

Thats not good news.

Do you know the exact fault codes that your having come up with the system.

Hi,
I've got an R320 with a similar problem.
Fault codes are saying that it's the 'inlet manifold flap motor' that's at fault.
Now it's gone into limp mode.
It's out've warranty now (56 plate, but had for 5 years) so MB aren't interested.
Whilst it was in warranty MB simply did a software reset and blinded me with science.
The original symptom was a pronounced 'turbo' lag when accelerating from rest and when turning into a side road from an A-road at speed, it would hesitate too (when you asked it to accelerate again).
Biggest prob was at busy roundabouts as the delay would result in you being fired into the oncoming traffic a second later than you wished for! (by which time the next car was almost on top of you).
Not sure if remedy is new flap motor or, as some people have been suggesting, turbo repairs or replacement!?

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Phew! Finally I got a proper STARS diagnosis.

1. Glow plug cylinder
2. Exhaust back pressure sensor
3. Boost pressure regulator

The first 2 items are not that expensive. What bothers me is item 3 - the regulator comes complete with turbo.

It seems that whilst reading other posts on the same jerking issue, the diagnosis comes out differently - In L11LTA case, its the 'inlet manifold flap'.

The question is should we trust the STARS system and replace all 3 items suggested by the fault codes. A complete turbo is very costly especially if it doesn't solve it.

Hoping someone can help make some conclusion out of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom