R500 climate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

milleplod

Car
S212 E350CDi
In today's relatively hot weather, I've had the aircon/climate on. I've noticed that the air blown out of the right-hand vents is very slightly warmer than the ice-cold stuff coming out of the other side. Flow level is the same. Is there a self-test or calibration function I can access? Or does anyone have an idea which particular component might be causing this?

Its not a major issue really, as the interior's nicely cold with things as they are, but I wouldn't mind sorting it if its simple enough.

Pete

I've bumped this up as I noticed something else t'other day, that may, or may not, be relevant!

Driving down to Alcester on Friday (which is completely irrelevant), we sat at a steady 60/70mph most of the way. The aircon was ice-cold on both sides. When we left the M42, and did 9 or 10 miles at a maximum of 40mph, the symptoms above returned - not quite as cold on the driver's side.

Could it be down to the cabin filters needing changing? I've just picked up a pair of Borg and Beck branded ones for £14, so I'm going to indulge in a bit of DIY....I'll report back!

Pete

I am now on my second E Class and I really don't rate the aircon in these cars.

Both were brand new and my 2014 E300 Hybrid used to on occasion steam up the windows and blow hot air through the vents when cold is being called for.

My new car a 2016 E350 is much better but recently on a trip when the outside temperature was very hot the aircon was blowing nice and cold but suddenly and briefly blew hot air into the car.

This was only a brief episode and the car soon corrected itself.

I suppose there must be a few sensors all around the car that controls this aircon and quite what caused the brief hot air I have no idea.

I guess what I am saying is that I would not worry unless the car is doing it all the time.

Thanks for the reply.

I know what you mean - I'm not going to let myself get obsessed with any little 'foibles' the car might develop!

Our previous car was a Lexus, equipped with all the bells and whistles. Every now and then, the odd item didn't work as it had previously - 'keyless go' was supposed to set the driver's seat to the position programmed into the key fob, very handy for me and the Mrs. Once in a while, it didn't. Annoying, and I was tempted to start trying to sort it, but sanity prevailed!

Years ago, we had a brand new Mk IV Espace - on starting the engine, it would take around 3 to 4 minutes before the climate system would come to life. It took the dealer around 8 hours to diagnose the problem (a 10p resistor buried somewhere behind the dash....), which was fortunately done under warranty.

So....I'll change the cabin filters, if that doesn't work I have two choices - ignore it....or when its hot out, drive faster! :D

Pete

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom