RAC Gold warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clkrichard

Car
2011 CLC 220cdi 2004 CLK 320 cabriolet, R230 SL500, A class Sport AMG now arrived.
I have just lifted the lid of the can of worms labelled " warranties " !
Specifically I was trying to establish whether RAC Gold would cover ABC and SBC pump failure on an R230 500SL.
The policy document clearly refers to "pumps" being covered in both the braking and suspension sections.
Unless I have misunderstoood Jay at Mercland however he is saying these will be excluded under "wear and tear" clause as they come to the end of their life.
Does anyone have a view on this ? Normally it is wear and tear over time that causes eventual component failure so do warranty companies really avoid all claims on this basis ?

I believe Warranty Direct cover both those components . Wear and Tear is covered there but has to be failure through wear and tear... This would be classed as a failure.. Think we discussed this elsewhere?

Why not give WD a call to check.

Thanks Gkinghorn we did. I was then subsequently confused by Jay saying that these pumps wouldnt be covered :

Hi Richard,
Apologies for late reply, I have been away for a week.
The car just came in before I left so its not been serviced or prepared yet but it is in lovely condition.
The 2 year warranty will be an RAC gold cover. Their conditions are the same as ours http://www.mercland.com/uploads/userfiles/Warranty Booklet.pdf
SBC is not likely to be covered as its deemed wear and tear, the pumps come to the end of their life and so need replacing... its not a mechanical failure.
You can use any garage, olly works with the RAC.
I do not have anything relating to the SBC work as this is usually done under warranty... I will have to make some enquiries with Mercedes Wakefield in the New Year.
The 2010 work was the suspension valve block, a common item, not usually that costly, but once you step into a main dealer.....!!
Anything else, please just ask.
Many Thanks & Regards

Jay Manek | www.mercland.com| 024 76386327 Option 2

I would give WD a call though unless you know they want cover yours. Can't recall how old yours was as I know WD just cover cars 10 yrs or less though mine had a 2 yr cover as it approached its 10th birthday ...and I am working on the basis SBC/ABC are both covered as I did ask when taking it out but as with WD trying to get specific things n writing is impossible... Pays your money takes your chance ..

Oh by the way I have emailed WD ....... I never trust anything said to me in a phone call unless I record it !
I will post their reply

Their website says up to 12 years and 120k miles so the 2004 car I am looking at fits within that

I have previous SL experience with WD, I suggest you get any agreement in writing. I had to fight to get them to preplace the ABC pump when it failed. I had to endure multiple 'engineer' inspections and correspondence back and forth for almost 2 weeks before getting the go-ahead. They also refused to cover replacement of a valve block claiming the block itself didn't fail but an internal rubber o-ring did, pedantic in my view.

I am in the process of writing to the ombudsman as they will not pay for the replacement of a failed level sensor on my W221 despite implying, at the time I took out the policy, that all electronic components would be covered. They now claim they meant main ECUs only. Unfortunately the only record of this conversation will be in their telephone database.

Clkrichard said:
Oh by the way I have emailed WD ....... I never trust anything said to me in a phone call unless I record it !
I will post their reply

And don't accept their first price if you do choose to go with them .... Tell them you will think about it etc and play hard t get ... Expect to get a premium anything from 50% to 20% lower than their initial quote... Mine went from £700 a year repaired at a franchised dealer to £940 for 2 years after haggling and wear and tear from day 1 ... There is an interesting thread n it over on the other forum where folks give their views n what ha sheen achieved etc ... May be a similar thread here but I have not searched yet...

Jay is quoting £599 for 2 years which seems fair

That's a good price for 2 years ... Does seem somewhat low though compared to others....

Mirras they list "self levelling units" in the suspension section ..... Are they saying "sensors" arent part of the "unit" ?

That's was their interpretation, hence my letter to the ombudsman.

I did read of them paying out on a wrecked engine following cam belt failure by paying £60 for the belt itself but nothing for the consequential engine damage of its failure !

I had a rac warranty a fews ago and dont think its worth the paper its written on , they all find some excuse not to pay out .

Had been considering a new non MB warranty but the more I hear about the issues people have with RAC, WD etc just makes me think the MB tier 1 is worth the extra few hundred quid. Couldn't be doing with all this hassle.

With an MB warranty there can sometimes be an element of goodwill, but third parties don't seem to entertain the prospect of flexibility. But that said they offer cover at a lower cost.

WD paid every claim on our L322 Range Rover and there were plenty of them! It was 8 years old, but only 39,000 miles at inception so we only had a £50 excess per claim too.

Hard to criticise them on my personal experience; as others have said, don't accept their first (or even web) price.

The answer from The Warranty Group who administer the RAC Gold plan :

Hello,

I can confirm that ABC and SBC Brake pumps are potentially covered under Gold Maintenance and Breakdown Care.
Any claim made is subject to the written agreement terms and conditions.

Regards.

The answer from The Warranty Group who administer the RAC Gold plan :

Hello,

I can confirm that ABC and SBC Brake pumps are potentially covered under Gold Maintenance and Breakdown Care.
Any claim made is subject to the written agreement terms and conditions.

Regards.

I know they have to say "potentially" but ....

I've had some really bad experiences with warranties. Really thought hard about one again on swopping cars. Then got into the small print and gave up as it excluded everything!

If someone can recommend a really good warranty company I imagine a huge group buy could be organised!

After Shock I share your cynicism ! What I was looking for was that those components are not specifically excluded and appear to have got that so I at least have some room to manouvre should I need to claim in future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom