RAC Renewal Rip-off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Breakdown cover on a Mercedes is a bit of an oxymoron

I get AA cover via my bank account = £60 per year. The £60 also includes travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and some other guff like lost keys replacement.

My mother is with Direct Line, and I switched to Direct Line this year when they not only beat my quote from SwiftCover by almost 50%, but they were also cheaper than the cheapest quote from any of the offerings from those online brokers (gocompare, moneysupermarket and comparethemarket).

(A price comparison website is just another name for a broker, who does exactly the same thing for you, and earns a referral fee from the insurer).

The Direct Line Group also owns Green Flag, and earns you a discount if you attach breakdown cover to your insurance policy.

In fact, most insurances will offer basic breakdown cover for far less than the AA or RAC charges.

When I bought my CLS last year, I got a years complimentary breakdown cover with the RAC, yet when my renewal came up, I found it quite difficult to cancel the continuous payment authority. Even when I finally got through to an operator, they tried to dissuade me from cancelling the renewal, even though I have alternative insurance in place. The operator felt it necessary to question why I needed to cancel, with me finally stating that I wished to cancel, and that if they didn't cancel the Payment Authority I would process any payment as fraud.

Auto renewal should be outlawed. For some business types, you have to specifically renew.

Swiftcover auto renewed, but their process for cancelling was simply a click.

Cancelling a renewal should be a simple process, and not made too difficult, or too time consuming. There should be a web form or email options to cancel, and not to rely on a call centre that is obviously understaffed for the volume of calls being received.

I would probably do the same...if I was single and didn't venture outside GB.

Wife drives it more than I do, and with up to 3 sproglets.

Her ladyship drives her own car - if something happens to it , I am her breakdown service , ditto the extended family . In most cases we come to each other's aid without paying for expensive breakdown services .

I always carry a few basic tools and parts , and can generally fix things myself at the roadside.

I have been with Gem for 5 years now and that covers me for both car and my van , renewal price is always the same as year before

It ain't personal, it's just business.

Exactly.

Because a large percentage of people are too trusting / stupid / lazy to shop around suppliers know they make more money by employing this business model.

No point getting excited about it, just recognise it is the way it is & comparison shop everything - all insurances, utilities, phone & BB contracts etc - every time at renewal.

That way you get the introductory offer every time.

My late stepfather always got his car insurance with the AA. I happened to be down there and I saw his renewal notice and it was asking for £1600 for a Renault Cleo and he lived in Farnham.
He'd never claimed nor had any points on his licence, though in fairness he drove like Nico trying to overtake Lewis.
Anyway, I jumped on his computer and went on a comparison site and got him cover with Aviva for £290.
The AA is owned by venture capitalists, who just want to inflate the PE and then sell it to another venture capitalist.

Last edited:
I have been a 'valued' customer of the AA for years, I got my renewal recently £280! I called them to say I could get the same cover for £90 elsewhere and I was thinking of leaving the AA. The girl said, hang on a minute let me see if I can get a better price for you. She came back on and said yes we can do it for £90 for you, is that ok?

They're fighting for scraps now as the most banks and insurance policies include break down cover - so will chance their arm given the opportunity

Consider using a decent bank account.

I use Natwest Black account, it might be £28 a month but I get all travel insurance, phone insurance, Green Flag European Recovery etc. included. Plus lots of other benefits like airport lounge access etc.

If you use these things it can be worth considering.

£9.19 a month for three of us personal cover roadside assistance + recovery with RAC.

Its the recovery that's important to us because if I cant fix it at the roadside its a cert some Muppet in a van can't

Sent using Tapatalk

I wonder how many people have multiple insurances covering the same aspect?

For example, a car insurance policy will often offer you legal cover up to £50,000, yet you may find the same cover offered in your home contents cover.

People take out holiday insurance cover when they are already covered with their bank account or other policy.

In fact, the PPI scandal was a result of selling policies when some people didn't need them, or some people would never be able to qualify for a claim because of their circumstances.

(I was sold a PPI policy even though I had insurances for illness and sickness through my place of work. Essentially, they would not give me the loan unless I took out PPI. I took out the PPI, got the loan, then cancelled the PPI within 28 days.)

The questions you need to ask when thinking about breakdown cover are:-

How often do I break down?

Will I travel to locations where recovery would be difficult?

Will I be carrying passengers or travelling alone?

How reliable is my vehicle? Is it old or new, maintained or neglected?

If I were to break down, how essential is it that I have a quick recovery. Could I leave the vehicle and continue on foot, or stay in a hotel while awaiting standard repairs?

Bragging rights? Do I need/Can I afford the best breakdown cover available, or do I go budget?

In my opinion, there are two main types of people out there. Those with more money than sense, and those with more sense than money. The first group will throw money away with wanton abandon, while the second group are looking at every possible saving they can make.

As for me, I have a simple Green Flag policy. The last time I actually broke down was way back in the early 90's, when I got the RAC to tow my car to my mechanic to replace the cam belt on a car I never bothered to maintain. Since then, nitto.

On the other hand you may get a brand new C Class that broke down 12 hours after being delivered (good MOBILO response though).

ˆ^ This.

Always good to remember that cars are designed to breakdown when fully laden with stuff, people and any family pets. They have a breakdown default to ensure it will be dark, raining, probably snowing and you are about to miss the most expensive seats seats in the house at the best event of your life. It goes without saying that your wallet will be safely tucked up at home and your nice warm jacket was not required that night, so it is still hanging in the hall taunting you.

As the car grinds to a halt, the on-board breakdown assist package will kick in. Just as you are thinking "at least I made it off the road" it will lurch then stop dead, with rear wheels firmly stuck out in the live lane. Leaving the car at such an angle that your Hazard Lights are all but invisible in the wind & snow to oncoming motorists.

Help is at hand - or would have been - if you now (in your rage) did not look to all who encounter you, like blood crazed rapist who escaped from the local asylum. No they will accelerate past you faster than a fast thing traveling fast.

Time to reach for your mobile and call assistance. That's right!! The mobile that you didn't bother to charge as you were only "popping out". Walking five miles in slippers to the nearest garage (is it still open) will be invigorating in the wind and snow. No best stit in the car that you are now locked out off.

Ah the joys of motoring......

Last edited:
Consider using a decent bank account.

I use Natwest Black account, it might be £28 a month but I get all travel insurance, phone insurance, Green Flag European Recovery etc. included. Plus lots of other benefits like airport lounge access etc.

If you use these things it can be worth considering.

Don't forget their Rewards scheme which gives 3% refund on several household expenses - I get around £20 per month from this which goes a long way to cover the £28 monthly charge.

I now switch between th AA and RAc each year and buy through quido as you get some fairly hefty discounts. It costs me about 100 year for pretty much the ful package. As soon as I get a renual through the post I contact them and tell them specifically not to auto renew.
Its a pita but I need breakdown cover. I tend to use it once a year or so on my older cars but only last week the RAC had to tow my 2 year old skoda back to skoda with a dead waterpump.

I haven't had breakdown cover for years as been covered by mobilo. I find it amazing how expensive that 'insurance' actually is.

I understand if you have several cars etc but if you have a single car, presumably a Mercedes, then just keep the servicing up to date through MB and have mobilo. As previously said, it makes the service plan and actual cost of service INC breakdown cover look like peanuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom