Race Start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W218 CLS63 S AMG
Thought I'd give Race Start a go a couple of days ago with a dryish private road available. Got to say it felt messy, bogged down, wheel spin etc. Maybe it has fixed parameters that don't work so well with remapped cars?

Anyone else tried it?

Jules

To much traction control interfering when tuned especially this time of year

On the AMG Driving day the fastest starts were without the launch control. Progressive acceleration won the day over too much wheel spin and traction control. Still good fun though either way.

My mapped 63 is amazing with race start. Even in the wet?

Only ever managed to get it to work properly once, though I don't have patience for that sort of stuff. There just seem to be too many boxes to tick before it will let you use it. As an aside, I can't see it doing the drivetrain much good either to be honest. I prefer to feed mine in smoothly and progressively rather than an all out wallop. :)

Oh, and mine's crap in the wet even with a Quaife. :D

Only ever managed to get it to work properly once, though I don't have patience for that sort of stuff. There just seem to be too many boxes to tick before it will let you use it. As an aside, I can't see it doing the drivetrain much good either to be honest. I prefer to feed mine in smoothly and progressively rather than an all out wallop. :)

Oh, and mine's crap in the wet even with a Quaife. :D

I love to light up the wheels at 70mph!lol

Tried mine (p31 with quaife) for the first time the other day on a wet road. Didn't really get any wheelspin until near the top of 1st. It was really holding the power back until that point to make the most of the grip without exceeding it, I was actually quite impressed! I'm guessing by a certain speed it decides it's no longer launching and that's where my tyres lit up?

Any yes it's a pain to engage, you can tell by the amount of time in the video before I actually managed to do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgiwRsWDieg

I have not had the opportunity to try race start as yet curiosity will get the better of me one day as there seems to be mixed views :D

Good feedback, the lack of power in the C63 must be helping the good launches and minimal wheelspin lol (only joking!)

I found it quite easy to put into Race Start using these steps off the MBWorld forum;

1-drive in ESP sport/manual mode
2-left foot brake to a stop (takes some practice...or right foot brake to a stop then switch feet without lifting)
3-turn dial to RS (one notch since already in manual)
4-confirm with up paddle
5-floor it
6-release brake

Mine bogs down much more since having it mapped but then again having 1092nm of torque is only going to do one thing. The best experience I've had with it is, tyres nice and warm (obviously) and finding of those anti-slip cream patches on the road.

They're usually located on a corner but there's a few near me on quiet roads that stretch a good length from the exit - easily 3.5s to 60 with good traction. Never going to get perfect launches in a heavy RWD car on road tyres though - much more fun to have it in Sport+ from 50mph and watch it change from 7th to 3rd and start going 60,70,80.. faster than you can actually say the words :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom