Radar Detector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pb33

Car
2004 W211 E320CDI Avgde Estate
Hi There,
What's the best radar detector for my W211? I do M4 motorway miles and want to protect myself. I have COMAND satnav, so would only need a detector. What's the best protection currently available?
Thanks for your help!
Paul

The Beltronics units are highly regarded.

I've got a Beltronics 990 International, which is essentially the same as this... http://www.naonline.co.uk/radar-laser/beltronics-euro-550.php

The link above is the place where I got mine - a good bunch of guys.

One word of warning is that government are trying to ban (banning is their thing) radar detectors like this, but its looking like there won't be time for the bill to be read in house of commons, so as it stands at the moment they are entirely legal! :)

These detectors most definitely do work, but you'll get lots of false alarms in built up areas, and depending on roadside furniture/traffic you'll get between 50 and 300 metres warning before you get to a Gatso.

I find it works best picking up the overhead gantry cameras on the M25.

Good luck with your purchase!

I'd go for the b2, it's only the radar element that might (probably) be banned.

Thanks for your help;
I'm getting up to speed now (pardon the pun). So, this differs from the Road Angel-type GPS device in that it detects lasers? How effective is this? I read that its too late once it alerts you to a laser, as youre by that time already booked. So, should I invest in a laser detector or would a GPS device be sufficient?
Cheers,
Paul

IanAlexander2 said:
I'd go for the b2, it's only the radar element that might (probably) be banned.

Me to, excellent have one on the C43 and the SClass had them since they came out, never been a problem.

It's £280 on the b2 website. Is this the best price? Any reason not to buy from Ebay?
Thx

pb33 said:
Thanks for your help;
I'm getting up to speed now (pardon the pun). So, this differs from the Road Angel-type GPS device in that it detects lasers? How effective is this? I read that its too late once it alerts you to a laser, as youre by that time already booked. So, should I invest in a laser detector or would a GPS device be sufficient?
Cheers,
Paul

From what I understand, a radar detector (like mine) will do exactly what it says on the tin. Therefore, you can drive past a Gatso and if it isn't active, the radar detector won't alert you. If it is active, it will bleep and warble like a Toys R Us at Christmas.

The GPS ones on the other hand cross reference your position against a database of known camera and speedtrap locations, and alert you when you get near one. Therefore, they will go off regardless of whether the camera is active or not.

The point about lasers is true, up to a point. If you get lasered then its likely you've got milliseconds to change your speed (if you're speeding ;) ) before Plodd looks at the speed readout. However, I read somewhere that the laser detector can pick up laser 'splashes', that is to say cars being laser targetted around you.

You can buy devices which actively jam laser emissions by scattering the beam. However, these devices are most definitely illegal, and if Plodd find it on your car they can prosecute you with something like perverting the course of justice. Of course its highly unlikely they'd find it on your car seeing as it comes with an off switch and is a tiny install which sits just behind the grille, but they're illegal nevertheless.

pb33 said:
Thanks for your help;
Cheers,
Paul

In response to your ebay question: Check with Origin, I know they used to be very relaxed about support regardless of where you bought them, but I think they might be tightening up. I have found them very helpful in the past.

Another vote for the B2.

It's got the fixed camera warnings (GPS) and also warns of known spots for mobile cameras (vans parked illegally), but best of all it has the radar detector. This has saved me getting more points. Once when the alarm went off I could just make out a dark blue car about half a mile ahead on the hard shoulder. As I drove past at 70 there was a policeman standing behind the car, either holding a small radar detector, or relieving himself against the tyre ... maybe both. ;)

The B2 is good because it has a remote GPS aerial (as well as radar detector) and can be fitted more discreetly if you want (although on a W211 I could only find space to mount it on the dash). If/when radar detectors are banned you can just unplug the detector (if you want ;). Road Angels will get round their built-in detectors by disabling them on the updates (so they told me), so you will have no choice.

By the way, I have a spare B2 for sale with just under a years subscription. The only thing it doesn't have is the radar detector, but this can be bought from Origin. PM me if you're interested.

I think some GPS-based systems can be set to only warn you of a fixed camera if you are exceeding the speed limit for that section of road ??

A further thought: will the windscreen coating(s) on the W211 interfere with the detector?

The standard W211 screen doesn't have any coating.

If you have an athermic screen, then there will be a section near the rear view mirror that is clear of coating, where you can fix the GPS antenna and radar detector. Another reason to chose a B2 with its remote GPS aerial, rather than another unit with it built-in (e.g. Road Angel).

Ive must admit , my setup does take quite a lot of beating :)

B2 and Valantine 1 G2. Cost the best part of a grand.

Failing that for a reduced budget , Bel 550 will do :D

But Fuzzer, doesnt the Valentine drive you mad with false alarms? mine did although I did keep it for 2 years till I traded it for a B2 (& laser jammer which I only use for ornemental purposes )

B2 def gets my vote - its also very discrete & can be hidden away in an ashtray if you want - I did this on my 129SL's & 203 C class

We have a B2 in each car and they really are good. the only time I have bene caught out in the last umpteen years is when I got the new SL recently and was so keen to go out & about before fitting the B2 + kit I got done .SP50 3 points & £60.

The B2 also has a discrete laser detector.

I must admit , I seldom go over the speed limits in my 'old age' , so I shall just rely on keeping good observations and an eye on the speedometer to keep my licence clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom