Radio wont stay without the ignition being on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr-C

Car
CLK 270 CDI & Audi S4
Hi newbie here and new to Merc as it goes. Car is CLK W209 with the command thingymabob but the radio wont come on without the ignition being on. Is this correct or do I have a fault. Surely I must be able to sit in the car and listen to the radio without having everything on.
I know in Audi's the radio can be used for a certain length of time without the key even in the ignition.

Thanks in advance

Back in the day, there were 2 live feeds, a permanent live and an ignition live. This meant it keeps the presets and clock, and you could switch it on with the ignition off.
On a 209 it's more likely that there is just a permanent live and the CAN bus will switch it on and off.

Turn key to position 1, accessory, (position 2 being ignition on) accessory position will allow radio and cigar lighter to be on.

Dec

Turn key to position 1, accessory, (position 2 being ignition on) accessory position will allow radio and cigar lighter to be on.

Dec

My radio will turn on without the key being in the ignition...I think this is what the OP is querying.

My radio will turn on without the key being in the ignition...I think this is what the OP is querying.

Dec

I know that.. But it seems bizarre that I have to have to be in position 2 before radio works. In other marques you can flick the radio on with out the key even in in the ignition. :dk: but this Merc sees to wants to have everything on just to I can sit and listen to Jeremy Vine whilst Mrs C just nips in to the shop! Which can take a long time.

Dec

My command unit comes on in position 1 as well, but I can also turn the unit on with key not inserted by holding power on button down for couple of seconds. It then appears to run for around 30 minutes before warning it is going to turn off again.

Neil

I know that.. But it seems bizarre that I have to have to be in position 2 before radio works. In other marques you can flick the radio on with out the key even in in the ignition. :dk: but this Merc sees to wants to have everything on just to I can sit and listen to Jeremy Vine whilst Mrs C just nips in to the shop! Which can take a long time.

I have a Sony radio, I need the ignition at position 1 to use it but I believe I can program it to remain on for 30 minutes after ignition off, perhaps you can do the same, but it needs to be programmed too.

Dec

It should come on with ignition off. It will turn off again after about 20 mins to protect the battery, but you can just turn it on again

Richard

It should come on with ignition off. It will turn off again after about 20 mins to protect the battery, but you can just turn it on again

Richard

Nope mine is not playing ball at all. :fail If I don't have the key on position 2 then no radio.

Something is odd. Can you use the power button to turn it off when the ignition is on ? (i.e has the button packed in!)

R

Something is odd. Can you use the power button to turn it off when the ignition is on ? (i.e has the button packed in!)

R

Yes the button works fine when the ignition is on

Question for forum; Is there a voltage sensing circuit that won't let the radio go on if the battery voltage is low? (Faulty battery)

Hello,
i was curious with mine when read and found radio works with NO key in the ignition.
bizarrely it also worked when i opened the screencover!

car is a s204 c220 2010 with i think the ntg4 model with no satnav

I'm sure it won't help in the slightest but I checked mine this morning and found the radio will stay on with the ignition switch in the OFF position providing the key is in the switch. Remove the key and the radio turns off after an interval set in the cluster menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom