Rare 1 of 12 – 1992 AMG Hammer Coupe 6.0 for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting it's fitted with the m119, and not the "hammer" 32v m117. Possibly that was retro fitted by AMG to replace the original engine at some point, or if it's as built it must be one of the last.

Last edited:
These are now museum pieces. You couldn't possibly drive it, which is a shame.

Especially in the current classic car market price bubble we're in.

Interesting it's fitted with the m119, and not the "hammer" 32v m117. Possibly that was retro fitted by AMG to replace the original engine at some point, or if it's as built it must be one of the last.

AMG Japan did some wizardry with an M119/M117 hybrid from memory.

I think, and I could be completely wrong here, they managed to fit an M119 with M117 management. As opposed to fitting M119 heads on an M117 block which can't happen.

Might actually be a Japan car?

Last edited:
AMG Japan did some wizardry with an M119/M117 hybrid from memory.

I think, and I could be completely wrong here, they managed to fit an M119 with M117 management. As opposed to fitting M119 heads on an M117 block which can't happen.

Your spot on.

It was officially classed as an m117/9 by AMG japan, based on the old tall deck .960 engine.

The front timing cover of the m117 and m119.960 are interchangeable, so that give's you the m117 distributor drive on the front of the engine. The .960 still run's a ke-jet metering head so that's plug and play with the m117 ecu, it's only the EZL ignition module that is unique to the engine.

The myth about m119 head's on an m117 has been passed about for years, only 2 of the head bolts are anywhere close to lining up so wont work at all.

For anyone who's interested here's the data plate.

mcx768.jpg

384578d1309705604-these-m119-heads-w126-6-0-f731f6628fjr9.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm that looks different the OP listing, which looks like a full on E60/SL60 M119.

Maybe it was a very late German AMG build, which doesn't actually tie in with the text which suggests is a 375hp M117 6.0 DOHC.

The 6.0 M119 was easily 420hp.

At the risk of being a doubting thomas, where are the factory AMG spec decals that were always attached to these cars on the engine and front slam panel?

Last edited:
I think AMG Japan were having a field day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 61
Hmm that looks different the OP listing, which looks like a full on E60/SL60 M119.

Maybe it was a very late German AMG build, which doesn't actually tie in with the text which suggests is a 375hp M117 6.0 DOHC.

The 6.0 M119 was easily 420hp.

At the risk of being a doubting thomas, where are the factory AMG spec decals that were always attached to these cars on the engine and front slam panel?

It's got the early chassis plate as opposed to the AMG decal. I would say it is a 6.0 AMG engine, though remember the early M119.960 is a different beast to the later 6.0 efi engines so 375hp is about right.

image85843.jpg

I'm learning stuff here.

So this is an M119 5.0 that's been bored/stroked to 6.0 before AMG made the E60/SL60?

I'm learning stuff here.

So this is an M119 5.0 that's been bored/stroked to 6.0 before AMG made the E60/SL60?

Yep:thumb:

The early closed deck m119.960 engine block is identical to the late m117 except for the position of the head studs. This mean's many part's interchange between the two. So the 6.0 version of this engine is the 5.6 m117 crank and rods fitted with custom overbored pistons, 100mm bore iirc.

The later efi m119 open block engines were 4mm shorter in height, and a different block casting. These don't interchange with the m117 timing case ect, which is why you never see any of the jap hybrid engines based on it. The conrods and pistons are also different. This is the engine AMG used for the SL/E60.

I did put a set of 5.6 rod's and crank in an early m119 to try and build a 5.6 m119, they fitted perfectly but pushed the piston's 6mm above the block!:eek:

Last edited:
Yep:thumb:

The early closed deck m119.960 engine block is identical to the late m117 except for the position of the head studs. This mean's many part's interchange between the two. So the 6.0 version of this engine is the 5.6 m117 crank and rods fitted with custom overbored pistons, 100mm bore iirc.

The later efi m119 open block engines were 4mm shorter in height, and a different block casting. These don't interchange with the m117 timing case ect, which is why you never see any of the jap hybrid engines based on it. The conrods and pistons are also different. This is the engine AMG used for the SL/E60.

I did put a set of 5.6 rod's and crank in an early m119 to try and build a 5.6 m119, they fitted perfectly but pushed the piston's 6mm above the block!:eek:

So when Jaymanek eventually agrees to sell me his blue SEC (which I've been working on for two years and have first refusal). What's the best option for a 6.0 Motor which I'd like to put in it? I've always wanted a 6.0 DOHC standard body AMG. I've never been a huge fan of the widebody.

Oh and I'd paint it malachite green, which really suits the C126.

So when Jaymanek eventually agrees to sell me his blue SEC (which I've been working on for two years and have first refusal). What's the best option for a 6.0 Motor which I'd like to put in it? I've always wanted a 6.0 DOHC standard body AMG. I've never been a huge fan of the widebody.

Oh and I'd paint it malachite green, which really suits the C126.

It will depend on budget and what's available, if you can find an SL60 engine cheaply enough throw that in but remember you will need an aftermarket ecu to run it.

For a period correct swap you could use an early m119.960 running the m117 management.

But if I were doing it my way I'd be using an m275 instead, more power to the pound!

It would need to be a V8, a V12 wouldn't be right somehow. I'm not bothered about period as such as long it were Mercedes sourced.

I figured a stand alone engine management system would be the way to go.

Plus having owned a 560SEC I always found the steering a little "woolly" even with a refurbed steering box, so I'd be interested in a Rack and Pinion rack conversion.

Last edited:
It would need to be a V8, a V12 wouldn't be right somehow. I'm not bothered about period as such as long it were Mercedes sourced.

I figured a stand alone engine management system would be the way to go.

Plus having owned a 560SEC I always found the steering a little "woolly" even with a refurbed steering box, so I'd be interested in a Rack and Pinion rack conversion.

The steering rack and lower colum from a w210 are what you'd need, bit of messing about but doable.

I've got an AMG M119.960 6.0L engine for sale...

I've got an AMG M119.960 6.0L engine for sale...

If I had a car to put it in I'd be biting your hand off.

That said, what's the lowdown? It might be worth buying and storing in my warehouse until I do have something to put it in.

Mileage, condition and price?

£4K is a bit strong for an engine with 100K miles on it, despite being a rare 6.0 M119. I think I'd prefer to spend the £4K building a new one from scratch.

I disagree. The last 6.0L AMG M119 engine I saw was on ebay.de for 9000 euros.

If it was that easy to build one, there would be a lot of 6.0Ls around, fact is there isn't.

The coating for the pistons are under patent by kolbenschmidt, they don't have any pistons and want a large MOQ, Mercedes won't sell any parts from these engines. You can put a liner in, and get someone to make some custom pistons, but most want a MOQ of 3 sets. Then you need the rods in the right length, and a 560 crankshaft which needs machining. Let's say you've done those, the whole rotating assembly then needs balancing.

Factor in new gaskets, seals, bearings, timing chains, guides, oil pump, and bolts etc. Then you'll need to port and polish the head, machine, fit larger valves and rebuild both heads.

You'll need the AMG airbox, (which my engine comes with) and then... Camshafts. These will have to be regrinds as no one makes them new, unless you're very lucky and happen to stumble across some genuine AMG items. Some were on ebay not long ago, for 4000 euros...

Hence, I disagree my engine is expensive, and that you could build one for £4k. Feel free to prove me wrong on either account.

It will cost at least £8k to build a V8 with the spec above from scratch and that if you DIY and do all the legwork yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom