Rattling noise coming from dashboard W204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnthornhill

Car
W204 C350
Hi, I have a 2009 pre face lift W204. A rattling noise is coming form the dash board I think its coming from one of those mesh grilles between the dash and the windscreen, it only happens when moving which is annoying I did think it was where the windscreen is at the bottom but ive pressed it and its not that.

Does anyone know how to remove the 2 mesh pieces on top of the dash nearest the wind screen? I have a terribly annoying rattling noise coming from on top of the dash by the windscreen and its driving me MAD.:wallbash:

I want to remove the long pieces of mesh to see if anything is in there rattling, is it just a case of getting a screw driver between the mesh and the dash board at the front and prizing them open? or do you need a tool? is there any clips? I don't want to damage anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not an answer to your question as such but...

I have a w204

I had an annoying rattle of the intermittent variety that couldn't literally put my finger on!

Turned out to be the sun visor would you believe, my theory is the hinge was creaking / ticking when the visor was at 60 degrees not straight down

It's funny how you're convinced the noise is coming from one place, but my wife's (undamaged by HIFI) ears tracked it down!

I put a tiny bit of grease on the hinge and it has been cured

This rattle has just started on my Eclass coupe 2014. Same position :(

It's annoying the hell out of me to. I can't stand it!!

When I apply heavy pressure to the mesh it rattles less but still there. I tried putting the vents on max heat and max fan speed and it some hoe gives it a short fix.

I myself want to know how to remove his mesh to get to this rattle or will Mercedes to anything about it???

Thanks for your reply I'm gonna try the sun visor and see if that cures it, if not let's hope someone tells us how to get the mesh off without damaging the dash.

I've got a load of rattles on my centre console, dash and trim, but hopefully they'll be rectified next week when they are being fitted properly I hope.

Hi

I had loads of creaks and rattles when I very first got my w204 coupe!! I sprayed all the vents and where any two bits of plastic joined with auto glym plastic and rubber cleaner!! Then left it to dry overnight!! Wiping away an excess the next day!!

Not really an answer to your question but worked for me!! Virtually all the rattles have gone!!

Also the my front tweeter on the passenger side was rattling when I turned the music up!! Turns out it was the control box bracket for the power folding mirrors touching the body work!! Causing the noise!! The tweeter was fine

cafera3 said:
Hi I had loads of creaks and rattles when I very first got my w204 coupe!! I sprayed all the vents and where any two bits of plastic joined with auto glym plastic and rubber cleaner!! Then left it to dry overnight!! Wiping away an excess the next day!! Not really an answer to your question but worked for me!! Virtually all the rattles have gone!! Also the my front tweeter on the passenger side was rattling when I turned the music up!! Turns out it was the control box bracket for the power folding mirrors touching the body work!! Causing the noise!! The tweeter was fine

Thanks. Will give this a try, if this fixes it I'm all for it.

I have the same problem with my w204 coupe. The rattle seems like its coming from the dashboard and occurs driving over bumpy roads. MB said it was the park brake cable rattling and that they've tightened it. This has not resolved the issue -__-

cafera3 said:
Hi I had loads of creaks and rattles when I very first got my w204 coupe!! I sprayed all the vents and where any two bits of plastic joined with auto glym plastic and rubber cleaner!! Then left it to dry overnight!! Wiping away an excess the next day!! Not really an answer to your question but worked for me!

Cafera3 thank you so much!

It came to the point I was going to my fist through the dashboard. I ordered a bottle of that plastic and rubber cleaner (as you mentioned) I thought what have I got to lose plus I could use the product. So got the product off eBay £7,80. Sprayed it over the area, left it to dry after and wiped away the excess. Not only did the rattle disappear I had a very clean dashboard.

RATTLE SOLVED!!!!!! WORKED FOR ME.

Cafera3 thank you!!!

Glad it worked for you to!! I have use it to clean all the interiors of my cars!! Comes up great every time and is not sticky or really shiny like other products and tends to keep them annoying rattles and creaks away!!!

Hi

I had loads of creaks and rattles when I very first got my w204 coupe!! I sprayed all the vents and where any two bits of plastic joined with auto glym plastic and rubber cleaner!! Then left it to dry overnight!! Wiping away an excess the next day!!

Not really an answer to your question but worked for me!! Virtually all the rattles have gone!!zz.

Also the my front tweeter on the passenger side was rattling when I turned the music up!! Turns out it was the control box bracket for the power folding mirrors touching the body work!! Causing the noise!! The tweeter was fine

Hello! Could tou please attach a photo or a link with the autoglym plastic and rubber spray? I found 10 different spray on eBay and Amazon and don't know exactly which one I have to buy!

Thank you in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom