rattling sound near polybelt should i worry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maani

Car
W208 clk 430 2001
Hi All,

I hear this rattling sound and it looks like its from the polybelt area. Is the tensioner going or is there something else i need to worry about?

It is more pronounced at idle and I don't seem to hear it when reving up the engine.

noisey polybelt area - a set on Flickr

Thanks
Imran

Hi All,

I hear this rattling sound and it looks like its from the polybelt area. Is the tensioner going or is there something else i need to worry about?

It is more pronounced at idle and I don't seem to hear it when reving up the engine.

noisey polybelt area - a set on Flickr

Thanks
Imran

Rattling sound is never good, could be a pulley wheel or idler coming loose, I would check them asap you dont want a damaged rad.

It is normally a noisey top idler pulley mate, the pulley nearest to your camera in your video. :thumb:

thanks Justin, a few indies near me and an MB mechanic have had a quick look and I got confilcting information. I got its a normal noise that a clk 430 will make as the pulleys look ok, another said its the tensioner :-(

I suppose I'll have to book myself in with olly (PCS) so that it can get looked at propperly, eventhough its going to be a long drive.

In the meantime, if anyone can think of a way to pinpoint the noise, it will be highly appreciated as I cannot really see any damaged pulleys in that area and the belt looks ok. I just dont want it to brake down before I can get it over to PCS ;-)

if its got some damper of somesort for the tensioner, then it would probably be the bushings on the damper.

Of course i could be chatting mess and the CLK has no such thing but just a thought.

quick update, used a stethoscope and narrowed down the noise near to the idler pulley and water pump area. booked it in with PCS, will update thread once Olly/Jack have had a look, as its not looking like a diy job :-( .

polly belt just split :-(
all pullys looked ok, wil keep an eye on if the noise returns..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom