Really sad question about items packed for hols !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
We are off to Singapore next week and cruising to Hong Kong via Thailand and Vietnam. The missus wants to pack our two little toy mutts (she won't go anywhere without them). We are a bit paranoid customs at Singapore will open the cases, see the mutts and slash them open looking for dodgy substances. The paws are weighted as you get in these things. What are the chances of that happening. Very sad question I know but I've told her it's best not to take them !!!

The problem may resolve itself.....

"A report by the UK's Air Transport Users Council (AUC), shows the world's airlines irretrievably lost more than one million bags in 2007 alone.

In the same year, more than 42 million pieces of luggage were mishandled worldwide"

The less you take the happier you will be.
Leave them behind for the stated reasons.
My other better half is incapable of packing into less than cubic metre and things are taken in case they "might" be needed. Apparently everything including the weather, types of establishment being visited, largest available case and so on can have a multiplying effect on the volumes involved.
You just know I hate carrying cases don't you!
Les

Hi Culpano,
I used to live and work in Singapore a while back. Basically, when you enter, there is no visible customs (unless you have something to declare). I'm guessing you wont be doing this and be going out via the green channel. In the 2 years I lived there, I have never been asked to open my bags. I did do a fair bit of travelling in/out of Singapore and customs was not ever an issue. It has been a while now since I left (99) though, so it might have changed recently.
Just make sure you dont look dodgy :) (only kidding)
Hope you have a good holiday.
Cheers
Pete

Have your say and tell her the possible consequences. If she chooses to ignore you, then on her head be it.
I hate the expression "I told you so", but sometimes its unavoidable.

I travel to Singapore often nowadays and things have changed a little. While I might have been lucky and never been stopped, they now have dogs and guards standing buy (with an x-ray machine) just right next to the luggage belts.

I have seen many people being stopped and especially they seem to like confiscating cigarettes (it's forbidden to bring in fags to SIN!).

As others have mentioned, don't take the risk. Leave'em at home and have a nice trip!

I took this little duck to Thailand and there were no problems with Customs.

P2170014.jpg

Worse case scenario, said mutts get some impromptu surgery..

I'm off to Indonesia for 3 weeks on Monday, my packing will fit in the hand luggage. Mrs B and Junior B will require a trolley, mainly to carry MIL's stash of books she bought on her last visit and couldn't take back due to exceeding her weight limit..

When you travel on domestic flights in Asia, you start to appreciate how light we travel. I've seen a whole range of things from fridges, tvs to leaking boxes full of bottles of chilli oil going round airport carousels. :D

Ade

Youre not traveling with me so should be ok. I always get searched :(

When you travel on domestic flights in Asia, you start to appreciate how light we travel. I've seen a whole range of things from fridges, tvs to leaking boxes full of bottles of chilli oil going round airport carousels. :D
Ade

Even on international flights to Asia you seem to see mainly young Asian women who always have several random boxes...

Even on international flights to Asia you seem to see mainly young Asian women who always have several random boxes...

That'll be us coming back :rolleyes:

Mrs B will insist on at least one bag full of food goodies..

Ade

Take a picture of each mut and take that instead :)

Have a nice trip. Remember if it taste like chicken just think it is chicken :)

I took this little duck to Thailand and there were no problems with Customs.

P2170014.jpg

Bless him. He won't be little for long - eating that much!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom