Rear Brake Squeal !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hosejockey

Car
1999 C200 Classic
Hi all,
I have a problem with the rear brake pads on my 99 w202 squealing ,I have replaced the rear pads with genuine ones which have an anti squeal shim on the side of the pad (where the piston makes contact) but they do not have a shim on the top or the bottom ,i cannot make a shim for the top or bottom of the pad as there is a circular bulge on the top and bottom of the pad ?any one help ?? i have tried copper grease and i have replaced the pads no joy ,

Cleaning and greasing the back of the pads and shims should stop this, did you do both parts?

As Dieselman suggests, greasing between the pad and the shim, and the shim and the caliper should do the job.

A thin smear of copper grease on the back of the pads should cure this.

Stu

Suffered with this on my w202 too.

Tried copper grease on pads. No fix.
Pads chamfered, deglazed and refitted with copper grease. No fix.
New original MB pads with anti squeal shims fitted with some copper grease. No fix.

Think I changed the discs in the end not sure, I do recall the noise being cured at one point to return some time into ownership later.

You might have to scrape/clean up the surfaces the pads slide in and out on the body of the caliper itself. Thats the the surfaces bearing on the top and bottom of the pad metal backing plate you identified already. They get corroded especially at the back. Ultimate solution is to renew the caliper assemblies-shouldnt be too expensive at the rear.

Cleaning and greasing should definately fix this. when I fitted the green Stuff they squealed like a pig and I couldn't stop it with shims. A full greasing did the trick straight away.
Grease the pad and shim and the running bumps on the side of the pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom