Rear ended this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I was rear ended whilst siting in traffic this morning. It was one hell of a shunt which knocked the car forward about 3 ft while I had my foot on the brake.

It felt like more like he mistook the gas for the brake rather than gently rolling into me. He was driving an X5 so not a lightweight car to be hit by I guess.

Anyway the bumper has suffered a minor scuff but its broken through the paint in a couple of places. The more concerning thing is that the bumper no longer sits flush with the rear of the car. I took it down to Andys Autobarn in Sunbury (recommended on here) and he thinks the rear of the chassis member above the bumper has been pushed in by a few millimeters and will need pulling out. :crazy:

The X5 driver meanwhile is saying he barely touched me and is saying the damage wasn't caused by him and even if it was it was barely visible and not worth worrying about. Grrr

I pointed out I had machine polished the car only on Sunday and if he cared to look at the car properly he would notice the complete lack of any scratches anywhere else on the car. I strongly suspect he wasn't a car enthusiast as he didn't seem to get it.

X5 driver wants to go though his insurance company saying the £350-£500 estimate by Andy was far too much. This is probably fine by me as Andy recons if it goes through the insurance they'll replace the whole bumper and the costs will be closer to the 2K mark. .. that said, your insurance premium is effected even by non fault accidents nowadays.

I sincerely hope the X5 driver won't try and screw me around but I suspect he might. :mad:

I had 3 clear days after my machine polish with no scratches, I guess I should be grateful for that in London.

Last edited:
Hope you are OK.

Sounds like the worst type of X5 driver.

sorry to hear man!
hope you are ok?

sue that M-F if he tries anything!
there should be plenty of witnesses if the accident happened in the city.

did you call the cops?

which car did you drive?

I'm not one for bigging up insurance claims so I doubt I'll be going down the wiplash route but now you mention it, I'm not sure if its psychological but it does feel a bit stiffer than normal.

I subject myself to a great deal worse every time I go off roading on the bike so I'm sure my neck will be fine in the morning.

I just want my car back to the way it was yesterday.

>Kowalski

Driving the SL500, no cops or witnesses, people too busy getting to work to get involved in a little fender bender. The chap's not denying he hit me (at this stage) at least.

Last edited:
He wants to take it to Insurance - let him.

Notify yours first though.

He wants to take it to Insurance - let him.

Notify yours first though.

Is it not in your T&Cs that you have too,

I'd maybe also notify the police. Apparently if its in a public place you must report it to the police.

I thought the police only wanted to know if someone was injured (and no I'm not playing that card).

Is it not in your T&Cs that you have too,

I'd maybe also notify the police. Apparently if its in a public place you must report it to the police.

You report it to your insurance company so that they pursue the other guy in the event he 'forgets' to notify his.

The X5 driver meanwhile is saying he barely touched me and is saying the damage wasn't caused by him and even if it was it was barely visible and not worth worrying about. Grrr

I pointed out I had machine polished the car only on Sunday and if he cared to look at the car properly he would notice the complete lack of any scratches anywhere else on the car. I strongly suspect he wasn't a car enthusiast as he didn't seem to get it.

Sorry to hear this and hope you feel OK in the morning .

Who cares what he thinks about his car or yours - fact is he damaged your car and now he must pay for it . Simple as .

Since diplomacy appears to have broken down and he does not wish to pay a reasonable repair cost out of his own pocket , just pass it to your insurers and let them take him to town .

I'm not one for bigging up insurance claims so I doubt I'll be going down the wiplash route but now you mention it, I'm not sure if its psychological but it does feel a bit stiffer than normal.

SEE A DOCTOR ASAP.

I can introduce you to 2 people who had broken necks from whiplash, and didn't know it until days later, one controls a wheelchair by blowing in a tube, the other had his spine fused.

I broke a wrist and didn't know it, until my doctor insisted I went in for an X-ray 2 days later.***

BONES DO NOT HAVE NERVES, so they cannot send pain signals.

*** this is fun, because the instant you have a broken bone, DIAGNOSED OR NOT, your insurance policy is in quicksand, my ins said "no driving until you get a clear from the fracture clinic, until then you are uninsured to drive"

Last edited:

I subject myself to a great deal worse every time I go off roading on the bike so I'm sure my neck will be fine in the morning.

I just want my car back to the way it was yesterday.

>Kowalski

Driving the SL500, no cops or witnesses, people too busy getting to work to get involved in a little fender bender. The chap's not denying he hit me (at this stage) at least.

do you know how it works in Sweden?
Sweden is the paradise on earth when it comes to commit crimes!
get away with it without any punishment!

My story:
bought my AMG in 2004 3 months of owning it, I was driving my car and entering an T-junction or intersection?
Can't remeber the correct name.
I had the benefit to drive first because of the RIGHT rule (cars coming from the left, must give yield)
I was from the RIGHT side.

I was almost rammed on drivers side (Left side)
I managed to avoid this collision, the driver in the other car was someone I knew, this maniac turned out to be high on drugs.
when I got out of my car he attacked me and tried to stab me in the eyes.
he tried to bite my finger off.
he acted like a psycotic maniac gone beserk!
he vandalised my car, threatened me to kill me if I reported him to the cops.
So I went to report him, then this maniac followed me with his car and rearended me, he tried to kill me!

I went to the cops and they didn't want to take my report of the attack and carcrash/vandalism!
the following day I hear from a friend, this psycotic maniac a junkie!
this dude called his friends, they are dangerous gangbangers and they were out to clip me coz I called the cops!

this junkie is a known fellony by the cops and he got him self some foney witnesses whom lied to the cops about the accident.
10 months the cops dropped the case, this never happened according to them!
proscecutor couldn't do anything.
what a nightmare!

cops didn't want to take my report because I have a foreign name, and they didn't want to investigate the attempted murder and car accident coz I didn't have a swedish name.
because of this the purp got time to get rid of all the evidence and got himself some foney witnesses saying something else in favor to the purp!

what a nightmare!
THIS IS THE TRUTH it happened 13 of May in 2004!

Sweden is a fu---- up country when it comes to punishing criminals!
it's like Chicago nowadays!
Fu-- Sweden!

When it comes to this junkie, this dude had his license revoked because of driving under influence of drugs for 18 months from 2001 - 2003 and when he got it back in 2003 he continued with the same sh--!
I was at the wrong place at the wrong time!
I was almost killed!
I know this person from other people and I can say he and his friends are dangerous people when they are stoned or not stoned either way!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a shock jock by any stretch, but you should always get a check up after a hit like this - if only to get treatment for the unseen damage.

It was about 6 years ago that an X3 driver on the other side of the road pulled across me to turn (his) right, with me about 5 ft away from him. Lo and behold said X3 driver didn't stop - the car on the other side of him that was waiting to pull out of the junction set off in haste after him because I'd knocked the X3 into him.

I was in shock with a third of the front of my car missing.. and only got the first 4 letters of the number plate (FV51) and the pursuing car returned having lost the X3 somewhere.

No injuries, and even though I reported it to the police, they failed to follow it up.
It could have been worse.. but I'm rather prejudiced now about BMW X- drivers.

The best thing for you to do would be to contact his insurance company (the x5 drivers). Explain to them the driver rear ended you. In this time of credit crunch insurers are keen to keep their costs to a minimum. By dealing with you directly their costs are hugely reduced. Plus your no claims bonus and premium remains uneffected.

My brother had a similar incident in his CLK last year and dealt with it in the manner above. Nothing to lose, give it a go.

If in 2 days you dont have any neck pain your fine, but thats how long it usually takes to flare up.

If in 2 days you dont have any neck pain your fine, but thats how long it usually takes to flare up.

Like I said, I can introduce you to two guys who thought exactly the way you do.

Terry (the guy who blows through a tube to control his wheelchair) ain't really that worried about being able to drive again, he'd give half of everything he has left just to be able to wipe his own ass again.

13 days from his accident to the morning he woke up feeling woozy, a hour later he was a quadriplegic.

It's a scuffed rear bumper.

I don't think the forum will need to have a whip round to raise the money for Spikes new wheelchair any time soon...

No.

It was one hell of a shunt which knocked the car forward about 3 ft while I had my foot on the brake.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

"“A study conducted in Lithuania of 210 victims of motor vehicle accidents (MVA) whiplash injuries noted that pain and headache symptoms resolved in a range from several hours to a maximum of 20 days, in all 210 persons. The conclusions drawn by the authors were that in a country with no preconceived notion of chronic pain arising from rear-end collisions, and thus no fear of long-term disability, and no involvement of the therapeutic, insurance, or litigation communities, symptoms after acute whiplash are brief and self-limiting and do not seem to evolve into late-whiplash (chronic pain) syndrome. Other studies have also shown that chronic symptoms due to whiplash are rare in countries where auto and passenger insurance is not available for most residents and where prolonged disability is not socially sanctioned.”"

Note that in countries that do not have a parasitic compensation culture people are a bit sore for a day or two, but do not milk it and pretend to be in need of compensation.

Spike's going to be fine, honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom