Rear number plate mounting bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MEMERC7

Car
SLK 250 AMG Sport 125 Ltd Edition
Factory rear plate has been replaced by supplying dealer with my private plate, lazily fixed using just the top two securing holes. Plate also includes dealers name & logo & as I'm not being paid to be their mobile advertisement am replacing plate devoid of all adverts or those blue EU badges (ugh! ) BUT I want plate to be flush with bodywork, secured with sticky pads, and not standing proud with 4 visible screw heads.
How can I remove the integral mountings for the number plate screws? I assume I will have to remove the boot lid trim.

Factory rear plate has been replaced by supplying dealer with my private plate, lazily fixed using just the top two securing holes. Plate also includes dealers name & logo & as I'm not being paid to be their mobile advertisement am replacing plate devoid of all adverts or those blue EU badges (ugh! ) BUT I want plate to be flush with bodywork, secured with sticky pads, and not standing proud with 4 visible screw heads.
How can I remove the integral mountings for the number plate screws? I assume I will have to remove the boot lid trim.
They are threaded inserts (pem`s) so unless you have an angle grinder and good eye`s or a very steady hand with an electric drill (drill out from the back) do not proceed as a repaint job would be on the cards. If you want them flush of a sort get an old plate and counter bore them to take up the inserts and fix with double sided tape.:thumb:

As you don't want the bolt heads visible, the best way is to buy number plate surrounds, the type that the plate clips into. Just Google 'Mercedes Number Plate Holder'. (Lots on ebay). Or click on this link - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Fitting them flush is going to involve modification as johncook109 says.

To be legal, the plates need to have either the suppliers name or postcode and the BS approval number.

Last edited:
Halfords do little steel sheets that attach to the number plate fixings and the number pate in turn sticks to those. Not perfectly flat but a lot easier than grinding the fixings off.

As you don't want the bolt heads visible, the best way is to buy number plate surrounds, the type that the plate clips into. Just Google 'Mercedes Number Plate Holder'. (Lots on ebay). Or click on this link - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Fitting them flush is going to involve modification as johncook109 says.

To be legal, the plates need to have either the suppliers name or postcode and the BS approval number.
What ever you do don`t be tempted to purchase those plastic chrome plated one`s as the Chrome washes off after only a couple of months leaving the black showing through. :confused:

Just go to Halfords and get some thick double sided foam tape... I have used it on my front and rear plates with no problems.

Fantastically helpful advice and ideas. Thick double side tape in garage already so problem solved. Only been a Merc. only for 8 days and already impressed with help and courtesy on this site. Maybe get to some meets soon.

Halfords do little steel sheets that attach to the number plate fixings and the number pate in turn sticks to those. Not perfectly flat but a lot easier than grinding the fixings off.

Any links or pictures of these please? Thought I might have to get a rear plate holder which I don't want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom