Rear number plate screws turning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spera

Car
2002 E CLASS 270CDI AUTO AVANTGARDE
Hello to everyone.Lost my rear number plate today on my w211 avantgarde c270cdi 2002.Bought a new plate but the screws wont hold , they tighten but then pop out when close the boot.Tried longer screws but still wont catch just turning.Is there a way to fix this problem without sticking the plates down. Thank you.

Are you absolutely sure you have the right sized screws for the thread they go into?

Normally the problem is the reverse whereby the damned things seize and you cant get the things undone.

Are you absolutely sure you have the right sized screws for the thread they go into?

Normally the problem is the reverse whereby the damned things seize and you cant get the things undone.
The screws catch and tighten ,definitely correct size.I think previous owner must have over tightened the screws and rounded the threads.Probably need to find out if these can be replaced. thanks

The inserts are knackered. You will need to replace them and fit new screws with a little grease to stop the corrosion between the steel screw and the aluminuim insert.

The inserts are knackered. You will need to replace them and fit new screws with a little grease to stop the corrosion between the steel screw and the aluminuim insert.
Hi thanks for that , thought so . Can these be purchased from mb or can you get them elsewhere.

Olly, one of my numberplate bolts is seized and the back insert is also turning so I cant grip it.

If I cut it off with a dremel or something, can I get the bit out of the boot that is turning somehow?

Yes. Just remove the boot carpet and you will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom