rear side airbags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark92400

I have just ordered a new E class W212 (350cdi) and was wandering if I should add rear side airbags to the spec. I have three kids aged 3,5 and 6 and have received conflicting information from the dealer as to the pros and cons of having them. Any information would be appreciated.

Taking everything into account - in your situation - I would have them.
I cant see what the cons might be...........what did the dealer say?

Welcome to the forum.............

When you say side airbags, are they the mounted in the door for rib protection or in the roof to cover the windows to protect the head?

If the three year old uses a child seat I would mount this in the middle, assuming a three point harness / ISOFIX is used.

edit: just read from MB website:

The new E-Class Saloon combines airbags, seat belts and Neck-Pro head restraints to maximise occupant protection. A total of seven airbags as standard includes two-stage driver and front passenger airbags plus front sidebags and windowbags. We’ve also incorporated a kneebag. Front seats and the two outer rear seats have 3-point seat belts with belt force limiters as standard.

that's rather poor that the middle rear passenger does not ger a 3-point belt, many other cars do!

Last edited:
Trouble with these is when you nod off in the back and rest your head near the window/C-Pillar - highly dangerous!

Thanks for the information.
The rear airbags that are on the option list are lower side airbags. The rear upper curtain airbags are standard.
One dealer informed me that rear side airbags are not suited for younger children if they sit too close to the doors when the airbag ativates.

I'd be dubious of a dealer being able to provide accurate information like this. I would request they write to MB head office to ask for clarification, as it's an important decision. I'm sure you're not the first person to think of this issue so I would hope MB would have the answer somewhere.

It's very likely that children will be in the rear of a car so when designing rear airbags I would imagine this would have been taken into account.

Side impacts are possible the worst type you can have, so having more airbags would be a natural choice if safety is paramount.

Last edited:
I'd be dubious of a dealer being able to provide accurate information like this. I would request they write to MB head office to ask for clarification, as it's an important decision. I'm sure you're not the first person to think of this issue so I would hope MB would have the answer somewhere.

It's very likely that children will be in the rear of a car so when designing rear airbags I would imagine this would have been taken into account.

Side impacts are possible the worst type you can have, so having more airbags would be a natural choice if safety is paramount.

good advice.

Thanks for the information. I have now managed to add the rear airbags to my spec without delaying delivery. My dealer checked with Mercedes tech department confirming they were suitable for my kids age group.

Thanks for all the information. I have managed to add the rear side airbags to my spec without any delay in delivery. My dealer checked with Mercedes Uk technical deparment confirming the bags are suitable for my kids age group.

I've just come back from a conference and I thought this picture might be of interest

scan0002.jpg

So if this supplier does analysis work for out of position occupants I'm quite certain MB would too.

Last edited:
edit: just read from MB website:

that's rather poor that the middle rear passenger does not ger a 3-point belt, many other cars do!
If it's the same as the W204 (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be) it will still have a 3-point belt for the middle rear passenger, but that particular belt doesn't have a belt force limiter, hence the "...and the two outer rear seats have 3-point seat belts with belt force limiters as standard" statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom