Rear suspension playing up.!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

littlewimp

Car
2005 E55 AMG
Well I thought I had seen the last of dropping Airmatic suspension when the s class went and since owning the E 55 I've admired the way its sat even after a week or so unfortunately the last time I took it out I noticed that the rear looked a little lower than normal which gave me the Stop car to low warning on initial start up, wait 20-30 seconds and all's good again. I know that the previous owner had both rear struts replaced within the last 12 months with genuine Mercedes items as I have the invoice to prove this. I drove to Birmingham on Friday and about half way through my journey I had a message displayed stating Visit Workshop and a car with an up arrow on dash, I stopped at the services for a coffee and the car was sat at its normal height, return journey was fine and no issues but noticed this morning that the car was sitting slightly lower than normal. I was thinking Valve block but am a little uncertain on what to check first. I suppose leaks at block but am a little uncertain as to were its Located. the cars a 55 plate e 55 amg. Thanks.

Thanks Alps,
my initial search on here didn't reveal much but that helps, ideally I could do with a schematic showing the components relating to the suspension system, I'm hoping to get the car on a ramp sometime this week and see what I can find.

a bottle with water and fairy liquid mix to squirt at the pipe joins to check for leaks!

Thanks, I'm really hoping that I find a Leak tbh. apart from this small issue the cars great !

I'm having similar problem with my car.
Checked for leaks in PCS - nothing. Sometimes as soon as I open the door, the car rises.
Ok, keyless go and all that, fine, I get that.
But... I've noticed that it's only drops in Sport1. Stays nice and level in Comfort and when in highest mode (I don't use Sport2).
Am I right to think it's time for new struts?
Maybe someone came across similar problem?

I'm obviously no expert when it comes to the Airmatic ! but would of thought that the problem wouldn't be the rear struts, I'm sure if they were leaking then this would cause them to drop regardless to the setting. That's just my thoughts.

Well I made some progress tonight and found that the cars suffering with the same fault as Alps, I plan on carrying out the repair tomorrow and wandered if there is a Procedure to follow, I was planning on supporting the car on the pit jack so that the Rear wheels are just off the ground then release the hose clamp slowly, followed by the reservoir. is there anything else I need to know about ?

Last edited:
When i changed my front struts i was told to have the car supported at normal ride height when starting the car so as not to damage the struts, then once filled hit the raise button and it lifted itself off the supporting jack.

No problems :)

Managed to find time to remove the faulty strut reservoir earlier, the ali wasn't perforated but was very corroded so I made a temporary bung for the hose just so I could get the car back home while I carry out the repair to the reservoir, I'm planning to get two new tails machined up tomorrow as I shall eventually carry out the repair to them both. It will be interesting to see if the cars still sat nicely in the Morning.

A Big Plus Today, I came home and the cars sitting perfectly, I didn't manage to do the repair but am happy that once its done and repaired all will be Good again

the temp repair I had done in the thread is still going 4 years later :)

good to hear you got to the bottom of the problem :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom