Recommendations please: roofbars for S211?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biglips

I need to buy some roofbars for my newly acquired s211 ( BTW thanks to Angus from this forum for the fantastic buying experience) and would appreciate any recommendations.

I will be carrying surfboards. However I need to get 4 on the roof and so I would like to carry 2 sets of 2 side by side if that makes sense. Therefore I need at least 130cms of useable width, but more would be better.

Many thanks

Tom

What's wrong with the standard roof bars?

s-l1000.jpg

I'm probably missing something, but what's wrong with the standard S211 roof bars? Part number b67812123

(Don't forget to make sure you get the rubber strips AND the keys as well as the hex key, all as shown in the photo)

I'll have a pair to sell......later this Spring.

(Library photo above)

Last edited:
s-l1000.jpg

I'm probably missing something, but what's wrong with the standard S211 roof bars? Part number b67812123

(Don't forget to make sure you get the rubber strips AND the keys as well as the hex key, all as shown in the photo)

I'll have a pair to sell......later this Spring.

(Library photo above)

Nothing my wrong with them but i need the widest ones available. Thank you for the part number I can get some dimensions from that

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. Hmmm looks like I might struggle to get the 130cms I am looking for

I believe Thule are the manufacturer of MB roof bars, might be worth checking their website for alternatives?

I bought Thule - they have been transferred from S211 ot S211 to S212 then S212.

Very durable, however, I've just measured them at 115cm useable bar and 125cm including lock shrouds.

I expect Thule will provide a wider bar if required.

Easy to fit/lock and very durable.

Thule - we have a winner at 144cms

Option J Thule SlideBars
Thule 775 Foot Pack with SlideBars
Complete Two Bar Package - Includes all necessary Thule parts to fit the vehicle:
Foot Pack 775, SlideBars 892 (144 cm)
Free Matching Locks
All products ordered will Automatically be supplied with the same matching lock number.
Existing Thule Customers
If you wish your order to be supplied with a particular Thule lock number, please enter this here e.g. N123 (more info)
RRP £346.00 incl. VAT
tick In Stock

Complete Package Price £311.40 incl. VATAdd To Basket

Good chance that wider bars can also be bought....

Thanks Mike. Hmmm looks like I might struggle to get the 130cms I am looking for

Chat to a dealer - these things aren't bespoke. The standard size is recommended to "fit" the car - there's no reason a wider size couldn't be fitted - that's an advantage of the "through" fitting.

Here's the dealer website

http://www.whispbar.com

mechanics-day-roof-bikes.jpg

Last edited:
Spent this afternoon fitting the new roofbars in the sunshine. They are the best quality bars I have ever purchased ( and so they should be at that price). What terrible instructions though! They make ikea instructions look detailed.

However the good news is that I can fit my surfboards side by side. I have 4 to get on the roof so much better as 2x2 configuration rather than 1x4.

So in summary I would recommend these bars but allow plenty of time to decipher the instructions.

BTW thanks to Angus from this forum for the fantastic buying experience)

Thanks Tom. It was great to meet you and I really appreaciate the sentiment.

And, as you know, I had virtually given up getting a 350 CGI when you gave me the nudge. And how brilliant to have ended up in another 500. The dealer told me that loads of people called them after I'd snaffled it.

Really hope you enjoy the car and the surfing :)

Really pleased with the E500. I have been enjoying myself tinkering with it. In Addition to the roofbars I have fitted an OEM cup holder. Natty design but now have to purchase a new coffee cup as mine doesn't fit!

I have also bought a Belkin aux in cable so I can play music from an iPhone.

Ball joint next on the to do list which I will get done before we travel to the south of France in the summer. I will probably get the wheels refurbed at the same time although this may have to wait as the MX 5 needs major work plus the the house renovations.....

OEM cupholder

Happy surfing! Good to see that everything worked out.

If it's any consolation, it took me about an hour to fit the standard MB roof rack and bike holder on my E500 the first time I tried it. Figging thing. But once you know how to do it, it's a 10 minute job.

OEM cupholder? Depends what you've actually got, but be wary of the double cup thing that sits in the square space by the gear lever. It's easy to spill coffee into the gear mechanism which causes all kinds of problems according to our coffee swilling American W211 car owners.

Final thought for the day: it's curious that my wife has been an enthusiastic MX5 owner for the last 15 years too. Insanely reliable, charming runabouts for a bargain price. Must be something about S211 men.

It is the double cup version. The issue with them is only if you use a cup without a lid. Mine always have a sealed lid and so shouldn't be a problem. The cup holder is really designed for LHD cars.

Really pleased with the E500. I have been enjoying myself tinkering with it.

Excellent

In Addition to the roofbars

Annoyingly I've just found that the MB 210 ones I've happily used on my 202 and 211 don't fit the 212. Only just found out.

I have also bought a Belkin aux in cable so I can play music from an iPhone.

Wow - didn't know you could do that - how do you fit it?

Ball joint next on the to do list which I will get done before we travel to the south of France in the summe.

Yes, worth doing. It usually tightens the steering up a little when you do it.

The aux in cable is just a double male ended 3.5mm jack which plugs into the aux socket in glove box and other end into the headphone socket of iPhone or iPod. Simples!

The aux in cable is just a double male ended 3.5mm jack which plugs into the aux socket in glove box and other end into the headphone socket of iPhone or iPod. Simples!

Hang on are yout telling me that I was driving around in a 211 for 7 years without knowing about that feature??

What a divot.......

What makes it worse is that I knew the socket was there but failed to investigate what it actually did. Groan.

Anyway as well as the iPhone 4 cable i've found a USB cable in the 212 so for now I'll be a able to dump some MP3's from Amazon music onto that and stick it in the glove box. Quick fix for France.

S211 roof bars to go (free)

Have a set that have been sitting in my loft for 5 years. Part no. B6 685 0270, 2 locking keys, instruction manual but no hex key (can use a standard Allen key, as I did). Bought off a guy who used them once and I used them about twice I think. Would have to be able to collect from West Sussex and don't want anything for them (maybe buy me a pint :) ) Thought I stick this here, since there is a thread going, if now OT.

PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom