Recommended Multi-car policies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
My insurance for my five cars is coming up for renewal. Normally I'd continue with Heritage by Norton, but their service this year has been poor, and after a claim* on my "protected" no claims bonus policy, surprise my premium is up by 50%.

I'd really appreciate recommendations and experiences of others please for multi-car policies.

* my Volvo was bashed badly while parked on the road. It was treated as a fault claim, which verbiage annoyed the hell out of me, having not been involved in an accident for 27 years.

I use Aviva's multi car policy for our 2, never had to claim but it's a name that I trust and the premiums are £550 pa for them both.

Before I sold the Porsche I ran that on an Admiral multi car policy, and it was very competitive.
They even matched my full no claims to my second car, which was a bonus.
I never had to claim so I can't comment about that, but they never tried to rip me off by raising the premium come renewal time, I had the policy for 6 years.

I use Aviva and they are very competitive and match no claims across your “fleet” if you have multiple cars

Before I sold the Porsche I ran that on an Admiral multi car policy, and it was very competitive.
They even matched my full no claims to my second car, which was a bonus.
I never had to claim so I can't comment about that, but they never tried to rip me off by raising the premium come renewal time, I had the policy for 6 years.

We had an Admiral multicar policy last year for the first time, this year they hiked the premium by about 40% so reverted back to Direct Line who beat the lowest price we could get from Admiral .

my Volvo was bashed badly while parked on the road.
Was the cost fully recovered from the third party, Charles? The reason I ask is that trying to get a competitive quotation if there was even a partially unrecovered claim in the prior 12 months can be an uphill battle.

Alas no - no details were left and no clue as to who was responsible. Noted, but I have to try and other service failings have left me very disgruntled.

Would be nice to be able to get multicar quotes from comparison websites rather than having to ring all the insurers.

I’ve used LV= for many years and found them to be very good. But they have sometimes appeared to be less willing (ie quote a high price) to insure anything a bit special. The one time I had to make a claim following a similar incident to yours they paid up quickly and easily with no associated premium increases. But that was over ten years ago. I’ve heard lots of good reports about more recent dealings with them. I’d recommend checking them out. https://www.lv.com/

I found LV to be rubbish, quoted me and then at the last hurdle decided to say they actually required me to have a tracker installed!

I use Admiral.

£600 for two policies (mine is around £400).

For the last two or three years, my premium is around the same or lower so they've stopped increasing it for no apparent reason. I used to do the "new quote / cancel old policy" game but it seems they worked out what a waste of time this was for everyone involved - although evidently from above, not for everyone it seems!

I think we claimed in the past and it was all fine and as you expect.

Something changed about 3 years ago... new owners perhaps or something like that because as well as no premium hike, they stopped charging for policy changes like they used to. Customer service seemed to improve too!

What is the benefit of multicar? We have two cars both insured individually with full no claims bonus on each, never had to claim but if one of us had to claim no argument with the other policy over NCB

Should say both retired limited mileage on both and clean licenses pay about 250 a year for both.

At one time had 4 cars GWagen, 107 convertible, C220 diesel estate and A class young guys in office could not understand how I could afford insurance until I explained classic cars, limited mileage and good driving history one youngster paid more for his Astra than I paid for all four

Typo

I found LV to be rubbish, quoted me and then at the last hurdle decided to say they actually required me to have a tracker installed!
As I said, they seem less keen on anything out of the relatively ordinary. They also seem to have a preference for newer cars; I was surprised how much my premium dropped when changing from a 13 year old £2k 190bhp W208 to a brand new £45k 306bhp W204.

I'm surprised at the love for admiral I will never use them again absolute disgrace of an insurance company. When I changed cars they didn't actually insure the car till I chased them a week later as I still hadnt got the docs through only to be told it hadn't been changed. Just glad I didn't have an accident or get caught by the cops. Not to mention the cost of changing cars or the huge premium increase when both cars had the same engine, 1 year age difference just different models, plus new car was actually a cheaper. Had planned to look at their multi car policy but after the above not a chance. If they can't insure one I don't trust them to do 2

A mixed picture is now appearing. I've decided to look at insuring my classics first, and then the contemporary cars.

Aviva is well worth a look.

I switched from Direct Line four-five years ago when CostCentreOne started driving, as Aviva offered a very low temporary cover deal. But I quickly realised that Aviva were not only cheap but offered a much better multi-car deal with nominal 25% discounts, and were amazingly cheap when it came to minor amendments. DL slipped in an endless stream of minor charges for Foreign cover, or change of vehicle.

Their on-line processes are elegant and easy. When you need to talk to a human they answer the phone quickly and solve the problem for you immediately - which is not something you can say about most Call Centre Sheep.

I do think it's worth considering them as a solution to your entire fleet, not just part. I know classic policies can seem cheap, but these may well give you a comparable deal.

Ps Never, ever accept a renewal quote from an Insurance company without asking for a discount. Four of of five times, they'll have discretion to give you a reduction on the renewal rate. (It's part of their business model, you discount the first year, and aim to increase the cost in later years)

Both my cars on on Aviva after swapping from Admiral.

No claims though so I can't comment on service levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom