Red Routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremytaylor

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280CDI Sport Est., CLK 200k Cab., VW T5 174, Citroen C8, and a 2CV!
I think these are unique to London (?) but I've never really understood them.

Yellow lines = no parking when shown on sign.
Red Routes = Really no parking. (er, what's the difference?)

The idea with Red Routes seems to be that there would be special wardens who would ticket/remove cars ASAP in order to keep traffic flowing. Like many, I've long suspected this is just another stealth tax, and now I've been proved right!

For 2 weeks now in Roehampton Lane (SW London), parked on single red lines is the remains of a Leyland Sherpa pick-up. The thing has no number plates (nor engine or bonnet for that matter!) so it won't be going anywhere fast. So why, seeing as it is parked on a Red Route, hasn't it been removed to 'keep the traffic flowing'?? I don't suppose it is anything to do with no number plates, therefore no traceable owner, is it?? :rolleyes:

I think these are unique to London (?) but I've never really understood them.

Yellow lines = no parking when shown on sign.
Red Routes = Really no parking. (er, what's the difference?)

The idea with Red Routes seems to be that there would be special wardens who would ticket/remove cars ASAP in order to keep traffic flowing. Like many, I've long suspected this is just another stealth tax, and now I've been proved right!

For 2 weeks now in Roehampton Lane (SW London), parked on single red lines is the remains of a Leyland Sherpa pick-up. The thing has no number plates (nor engine or bonnet for that matter!) so it won't be going anywhere fast. So why, seeing as it is parked on a Red Route, hasn't it been removed to 'keep the traffic flowing'?? I don't suppose it is anything to do with no number plates, therefore no traceable owner, is it?? :rolleyes:

Thats the exception rather than the rule, I've seen many a car being loaded onto a flatbed when parked on a red route.

Even double yellows have cameras on in some boroughs (as I found out a couple of years ago).

Ade

Birmingham has red routes too but never seen any vehicles removed when parked in them.:confused:

Red Route/lines indicate No Stopping. They can be double lines meaning at any time, or single line, meaning at specified times according to a time plate. There may be specific bays for loading/emergency use, and I think hackney carriage vehicles are exempt on red lines. The red lines are enforced by TfL in London, not the local borough authority.

Yellow Lines indicate No Waiting. Double yellows mean at any time (unless seasonal, indicated on a time plate) and single yellow lines are only during specified times/days, indicated on a time plate.

However, you may stop to un/load on yellows and passengers may board and alight. However, loading restrictions may be present on yellow lines, indicated by upright yellow bars on the kerb. 2 lines mean no loading at any time, 1 line means at times indicated on an adjacent time plate.

On a simlar note - I remember getting into trouble parking in Clifton in Bristol on a part of the road where the road surface had been relaid, but the double yellow lines not put down.

I came out at lunch time to find a brewery lorry and a police woman looking at my car. She proceeded to have a go at me, and pointed at a small rectangular plate on the lamppost that said no parking, said she could give me a ticket, but did not do so.

At that point I was dragged off by my poss and made to move my car (I was not in a very good mood that day!).

Was she right - can they give you a ticket without the road markings?

Bit complex that one!

If the area is under local authority enforcement, then the best a police person could do is give you a fixed penalty notice for obstruction offences.

If the area is not under local authority enforcement, and therefore enforced by the police, she could give a fixed penalty notice for illegal parking per the sign but I would think you could argue at court that one. However, the signage adjacent to a double yellow line (that said "at any time") is no longer needed (hasn't been a requirement since 2003 so any still in-situ are now meaningless) so difficult one to call to be honest. If it was a single yellow line, the sign would be pertinent but without lines, not a good ticket to issue I would suggest, and one to fight in that particular example

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom