Reduce engine Oil level [2001 C240]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inteloid

Hi, I've newly (like 5 days ago) replaced the engine oil, and when I drive like half an hour slowly in the city in pops up the red warning message "REDUCE ENGINE OIL LEVEL". I've entered the dyno mode, started to drive and the oil level was between 6.5 and 8.2 litters, what can be the cause of this? When the car is stand still it shows 7.6-7.7 litters.

I've read in the forums that normal level for 2001-Nov C240 car was 8 litters and now they've changed it to 7.5 liters is that correct information?

Thanks in advance.
This is my first post here and I hope to find the answer :)

As you have very recently replaced the oil, I would just drain out 1/4 - 1/2 a litre and then monitor it. There have been a few similar posts, usual response is that most people run about 1/4 -1/2 a litre below max as it is better to be slightly low instead of overfilled.
Are you sure the level is not gradually increasing?, as if it is, it may, and I stress the 'may' be something else. However, as you have just changed the oil, I suspect you have just put fractionally too much in and that is triggering the level sensor warning.

Sounds like the oil was replaced to 'MAX' or almost 'MAX' which means that when it gets hot it is now overfilled as such.

The mallard's advice is good, just drain a little and monitor. You should be fine after that!

Hello there and welcome to the forum. I had the same issue when I brought my 2003 C220d.

The kid the got to top up the levels out 0.5 ltr too much oil in. AS you just brought it take it back to them and have them get dirty, unless you brought it private in wish case...time to don your gloves!

I've drained 400ml out, and will let you know if something will go wrong :)

P.S. Thank you all for fast response, I'm surprised :)
I liked this forum more than BenzWorld, where, maybe because of time zone, I have to wait a day in order to receive some replies.

For future reference if you fill the engine with oil to the max level then when you drive it up to normal running temp the oil will expand & cause an overfill,best to only fill midway between min & max(on dipstick) to avoid this:thumb:

For future reference if you fill the engine with oil to the max level then when you drive it up to normal running temp the oil will expand & cause an overfill,best to only fill midway between min & max(on dipstick) to avoid this:thumb:

One thing to note.... the gap between Min and Max on the dipstick is 2L (on my W203 anyway), and while main dealers correctly fill-up only halfway when the engine is cold - or sometimes just up to the Min level as they did when my car was last serviced - the billing system will automatically charge you for oil based on the maximum capacity for your engine.

In my case, the bill quoted 5.5L of expensive Shell Helix Ultra oil at £14.95 per L, but as they only filled-up the car to the Min level, they put only 3.5L in it...

The 'service advisor' took no notice of my complaint, claiming (bizarrely) that with the oil on Min the amount added to the engine was 5.4L, so according to him I only lost-out on the insignificance amount of 0.1L.

But in reality he was probably just improvising a 'leave me alone' answer to an awkward customer (me).

So it would seem that MB's official policy of not filling-up to the Max is also a huge profit generator for MB dealers... £30 extra margin for 2L of oil that were never supplied, on a £260 A-Service bill, is nearly 12% of additional profit for the dealer!

Last edited:
Hi, embarrassing question I know, but where is the dipstick in a C220 W203? I cant find it :eek:

There isn't one!! Use the multi function steering wheel to check the oil level.
Sean. (Same car)

@omega1, if you need actual data, not messages like "O.K." you can enter the dyno mode. If your car is older than '02 (as mine) you should turn the ignition key to position 1, then press and hold the odometer reset button for like 20 seconds or even more, then press the switch application button on the steering wheel (the popped out one, located under down arrow).

so, it seems to me the problem is gone, thanks a lot guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom