Refresh aircon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WOODYTHEWISE

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 500 Coupe.
Had an email from MB stating a full aircon service for £67. Including...old gas out..new gas in. Pleasant smelling germ killer. Tested for leaks. Visual inspection of vehicle along with wash, and vacuum clean of interior including free scratches. I presume this is a national offer..

Last edited:
Hopefully for all vehicles including Vans

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Had a good look...no mention of vehicles, however, well hidden was ' Not valid for vehicles requiring R1234YF Gas '

Had an email from MB stating a full aircon service for £67. Including...old gas out..new gas in. Pleasant smelling germ killer. Tested for leaks. Visual inspection of vehicle along with wash, and vacuum clean of interior including free scratches. I presume this is a national offer..

Actually that's quite a reasonable price from a main dealer.

That is a good price from a main dealer. I just had mine done, full vac/dry/re-gas, leak test at an independent garage near me . £59.99.

The car was 'piped up' for over 2 and a half hours and he was very thorough in leak test and using a digital temperature gauge in the vents on the dash. Good result.

Told me to pop back in a weeks time if I like and he will run over it with his leak 'sniffing' device and do a UV check for leaks. No extra charge.

About the new gas that is coming out on some cars now..

All I can say (according to my A/C guy) is that in a few years time some people are going to have a massive shock when they take their car for a 're-gas' £££££

While we're on the subject - as I had to, unfortunately, cancel the pre-booked re-gas at PCS, since I couldn't attend the BOTG - can anyone recommend a good place in Northamptonshire to do it?

That is a good price from a main dealer. I just had mine done, full vac/dry/re-gas, leak test at an independent garage near me . £59.99.

The car was 'piped up' for over 2 and a half hours and he was very thorough in leak test and using a digital temperature gauge in the vents on the dash. Good result.

Told me to pop back in a weeks time if I like and he will run over it with his leak 'sniffing' device and do a UV check for leaks. No extra charge.

About the new gas that is coming out on some cars now..

All I can say (according to my A/C guy) is that in a few years time some people are going to have a massive shock when they take their car for a 're-gas' £££££

He is correct.
Big changes on the way for 2018 on..
The amount of refrigerant is going to be reduced in each vehicle by using the "YF" variant which is a propane derivative . This is being achieved by using an oil-less system that traditionally inhibits heat transfer as we have in current designs anyway; hence the need for more of a refrigerant charge than is really necessary .
There will still be oil in the compressor but it will be trapped and not circulated through the whole system as we have today.

Much of this is to reduce sizing and engine power/electrical consumption needed to operate the system.
Chrysler USA has already being filling some of its product line with this design already.
The last time I checked in the USA for the price of this new refrigerant it was trade price $775 for a 10 lb keg.

The push by MB for the use of CO2 as a refrigerant will not be allowed into the USA on all MB models either locally built or legally imported..So Euro models only at present.

Even the price of the equipment to charge and re-charge is going up drastically. The new equipment like a Robinaire machine starts at hefty $12,500!
Current R134a machines are around $5000 even those dedicated to electric driven compressors and their unique refrigerant oil currently being used.

So yes ticker shock all around I am afraid.
Its called progress donchaknow.
Cheers
Tuercas Viejas

Prices of both the new type of refrigerant and the kit will come down significantly once it becomes more common and hits the mass market.

Considering how long it will take for ALL new cars to have it in the system I forsee a long period of time where many people who buy used cars with the new gas in paying a high price for re-gas until the price of the new refrigerant drops.

Had mine done at my local indy last week for £36, that included the die and to come back for a test to see if there were any leaks.

Am I missing something? I see a number of members mentioning about getting their aircon re-gass. In all my years of car ownership across many makes, I have never had the aircon re-gassed. I have a 25 year old Mitsubishi 4x4 and the aircon works like the day it left the factory.

jesus! you lot never see the rain coming.

why would anyone need to replace your air con gas? its a sealed system.:wallbash:

if you need it changed, you have a leak.

you lot are funny........

jesus! you lot never see the rain coming.

why would anyone need to replace your air con gas? its a sealed system.:wallbash:

if you need it changed, you have a leak.

you lot are funny........

Well that little nugget of wisdom will no doubt change worlds view on how automotive aircon works. They use O rings in the joints which will dry out and leak gas to atmosphere, the system will also build up moisture, that causes rust in the dryer/evaporator and ultimately failure. So bi-annual service is recommended. So your theory is I am afraid pure Hogwash :fail

Sometimes the refrigerant can escape over time due to aging rubber seals etc, it's cheaper to have the system regassed every so often if it's a very very very small leak like that

Also for the antibacterial cleaning to remove any horrid smells etc when running the system and generally to keep it clean and happy :)

if you want me to come around your house and remove your "air" and replace it with some special air con air, then please give me your details.

Christ, if you have pressure in your a/c system then you have no leak. there is no where for it to go!:dk:

go to kwik fit:wallbash:

ive owned my car from new. it has never has a "re-gas"? I bought it new.

its the same R143A gas from new.

sealed system. since the day I got it from the Mercedes dealer

funny:thumb:

Just had mine done by MB main dealer ( car is still under warranty so thought of going that route in case it was more than just a service needed)- as the OPs offer but 79.99, so that is a good price. Although my Indy would do it for 35...

ive owned my car from new. it has never has a "re-gas"? I bought it new.

its the same R143A gas from new.

sealed system. since the day I got it from the Mercedes dealer

funny:thumb:

Just take into account that ALL A/C systems except those running by internal electric motor (like Prius) lose on Average about 5% per annum.
Since oil is part of that charge; the flow of the refrigerant in both liquid and gaseous states carry this oil charge around the system to lubricate the compressor.

In many cases premature expensive compressor failure is often found to be due to loss of lubrication.

How does it lose the lube you might ask !!!

Well if enough refrigerant has escaped out of the system through places like the gland seal on the compressor drive shaft over time the resultant oil flow is reduced and so is the oil flow throughput into compressor!,

So it pays to have the propah charge in the system and get it checked every 5 years max.
Tuercas Viejas ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom